Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
New Options

Would you like a USB-C port on the Kindle to give you much faster charging and data transfer?

Would you like to have wireless charging on your Kindle?

Me? Definitely USB-C since everything else is going to USB-C. Now, my Chromebook and my phone have USB-C with rapid charging. My Kindles and my Bluetooth earphones have the old, slow, and klutzy USB-micro.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
USB C would be great for no worries about "up or down" of the plug. Fast charging isn't that important to me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I wish every electronic item was USB C to standardize them so I didn't have to have 4 different cables plugged in for charging or accessing various devices, and didn't have to worry about up or down. That'll be quite a ways off yet though. Currently only my 2 year old phone has USB C, nothing else.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
And by the time everything we own uses USB c they will have developed two more types of connectors.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
eBooks are so small that I'm not terribly worried about whittling down my Kindle transfer speeds from 300 milliseconds to 200 milliseconds per book. Unless you routinely transfer 1000's of eBooks in one fell swoop, the current speeds are reasonable enough for me.

The kindle battery lasts so long on a charge that I doubt anybody gets surprised when it starts running low. So I don't see much need for faster charging myself.

Wireless charging? The dock would probably cost about as much as the Kindle. And since we have to charge the Kindle so seldom anyway, why bother and put up with the expense?

The only benefit worth paying for IMHO (and not paying MUCH for), is the USB-C plug is not keyed and can be inserted either way.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
eBooks are so small that I'm not terribly worried about whittling down my Kindle transfer speeds from 300 milliseconds to 200 milliseconds per book. Unless you routinely transfer 1000's of eBooks in one fell swoop, the current speeds are reasonable enough for me.

The kindle battery lasts so long on a charge that I doubt anybody gets surprised when it starts running low. So I don't see much need for faster charging myself.

Wireless charging? The dock would probably cost about as much as the Kindle. And since we have to charge the Kindle so seldom anyway, why bother and put up with the expense?

The only benefit worth paying for IMHO (and not paying MUCH for), is the USB-C plug is not keyed and can be inserted either way.
It's not common for me to get the battery low warning when I'm sitting and waiting for the doctor to remember what an appointment is but it would be nice to get a 30% charge in 15 minutes when it happens.

I'v never downloaded a book using the USB port. I do use the USB port to install updates and that takes a while. It's not a reason for going with USB C instead of staying with USB-micro but it's still abenefit.

Obviously, you've never bought a wireless charging pad. Here's an example from a reputable vendor.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Qi-Cert...arging+station

Another benefit is carrying one charging cable in my daypack that would charge my Chromebook, my phone, and my Kindle instead of carrying two.

Let me know when you find a $20 Kindle. But, I understand. Change is hard for some.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

All good points.

I almost never transfer more than 4 books at a shot. Any extra time needed, Calibre is probably using up, converting some of the books to the required format, so no real loss there.

So what is this flaming need to transfer and charge instantly

I charge when I sleep (both myself and the K ) and I WANT my 8 hours+

There is a (required) mark on USB plugs, what is odd, is there is no (known to me) requirement for orientation of the jack on the device, a symmetrical plug would be convenient. BUT not so, that I would need ANOTHER cord at all my usual locations (Home, car, work, laptop go-bag) FWIW I already have Hammer headed USB Mini-Micro cords (good for 1 device at a time)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
USB-C would definitely be welcome, since all electronic devices are moving towards it anyway.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard

Quote:

I've never used a cable to download books. But, I agree that if you do that it's not a big deal. Downloading updates takes a while but I don't do it often. Still faster would be nice.

When I am away from home and get a low battery warning it would be nice to be able to get a 30% charge in 15 minutes or less. I realize that it's probably not at all important for folks who read twenty minutes every two or three days and always read at home.

Wow. You think wireless charging pads cost $120. Amazing. I bought one for my phone and it was $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Qi-Cert...arging+station

Even Apple who are loathe to use standard anything are going to USB c. Wouldn't it be nice to carry one cable for you phone, your Kindle, and your laptop? Now when I travel I have one charging cable for my watch, one for my phone and laptop, and one for my Kindle. I gave my Bluetooth earphones with USB-mini to a nephew.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to carry one cable for you phone, your Kindle, and your laptop?
Yes it would (Kobo not Kindle in my case). However, personally I am currently not seeing USB-C as anything like ubiquitous. In fact, I do not own a single device which can be charged with a USB-C. I can already charge my Android phone, tablet, ereaders (many) and bluetooth earphones (multiple brands) with the same USB-micro cable. My ASUS laptop - not a chance - it's still a barrel-type connecter even though it's only 18 months old.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to carry one cable for you phone, your Kindle, and your laptop?
Until I bought my Surface, I did. My Nexus 6, Kobo Aura, Lenovo Tab2 and Plantronics Bluetooth all use micro USB.

But yeah, I do think the next wave of readers should embrace USB C. It's the future (for now) and not having to figure out which end is up is a benefit in the dark (which sounds dirtier than I meant it to. Sorry!).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't really care. Charging speed for my e-readers is a don't care, as well as data transfer speeds.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
It's not common for me to get the battery low warning when I'm sitting and waiting for the doctor to remember what an appointment is but it would be nice to get a 30% charge in 15 minutes when it happens.
You planning on carrying the charging pad with you to the doctor's office? You'll need to plug it in as well. Carry a small power bank with you. I charge my stuff at night, so the time it takes is unimportant.

Quote:
I do use the USB port to install updates and that takes a while.
? My experience with transferring BIN files to a Kindle is that it doesn't take long at all. 240mb bin file over usb 2.0 takes a few seconds.

Quote:
Let me know when you find a $20 Kindle. But, I understand. Change is hard for some.
The cost to add it to a device would means increased purchase price up front, for an option that just isn't necessary for an e-reader, plus the cost of the pad. Most users want reading improvement over negligible hardware "improvements. And the patronizing tone is unnecessary.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
USB-C would be another new cable for me — so it would be the opposite of standardization in my case. At this point I don't use any cables except (mostly) micro and (some) mini USB cables.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Go to Shop Goodwill. They show up for that price (used) all the time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote