Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Based on my needs, what would you recommend
Kobo Clara HD 9 39.13%
Kobo Libra h20 11 47.83%
Kindle Oasis 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #16
gorman42
gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I decided to go with Libra H2O. The light is uniform, there's just a slightly darker "shade" near to the "spine" of the ebook reader. But typically you have margins there. For everything else, so far, it's been a great experience. I could honestly not justify the price difference with Oasis.
gorman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
I decided to go with Libra H2O. The light is uniform, there's just a slightly darker "shade" near to the "spine" of the ebook reader. But typically you have margins there. For everything else, so far, it's been a great experience. I could honestly not justify the price difference with Oasis.
The Libra is a great device. I do love mine and use it daily. But there's no denying that its frontlight is not on a par with the Oasis. Neither is the price, of course.

For reading in a well-lit environment, I would recommend the Libra over the Oasis. But as the OP reads in a dark room and is apparently sensitive to the light problems, I really hesitate to do so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
gorman42
gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Libra is a great device. I do love mine and use it daily. But there's no denying that its frontlight is not on a par with the Oasis. Neither is the price, of course.

For reading in a well-lit environment, I would recommend the Libra over the Oasis. But as the OP reads in a dark room and is apparently sensitive to the light problems, I really hesitate to do so.
Do you mean that there's worse Libras than the one I have? Or you're referring to the "dark spine" problem I mentioned?
Not questioning the fact that Oasis 3 has better frontlight. But it's quite more expensive, as you mentioned too. I think it's faster too, am I right?
gorman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
You have made a good choice going with the Libra.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #20
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Do you mean that there's worse Libras than the one I have? Or you're referring to the "dark spine" problem I mentioned?
That and other irregularities. There may well be worse Libras than yours, impossible to say without seeing it in real life.
Quote:
Not questioning the fact that Oasis 3 has better frontlight. But it's quite more expensive, as you mentioned too. I think it's faster too, am I right?
Not really. The Libra is about the same, at least with kepubs (epubs are a little slower).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Yes, but about 2-3 days ago the Oasis 3 was only $6 higher than the Kobo Libra. That is no longer the case now, as that Kindla sale is over for the Oasis 3.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #22
Tomk2
Connoisseur
Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: none
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on Amazon. The USA has a good thing going. If I were outside the USA I would definitely go Kobo. I have become spoiled by easy library borrowing. Sure hope Amazon and Overdrive keep working together.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #23
TJB4916
TJB4916 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I think due to the frontlight issues of the Libra, it's out of the question for now until its issues are fixed. Which is a shame, because its kind of the reader I wanted most.

I think having the Oasis for home and the clara for travel is a great idea.

Question about libraries in calibre.

Is it possible to build a master library with all the books I dow load and then convert them and upload to either device? Do I ahve to convert all to epub, upload to the kobo, then convert them to mobi and upload to kindle or is there a easier way?
TJB4916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB4916 View Post

Is it possible to build a master library with all the books I dow load and then convert them and upload to either device? Do I ahve to convert all to epub, upload to the kobo, then convert them to mobi and upload to kindle or is there a easier way?
Calibre can have multiple formats for the same book. When you send a book to the device, it picks from the available formats that the device understands and sends it. If there isn't a suitable format, it can do a conversion as part of the send. It will add the converted format to the library for later use.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #25
TJB4916
TJB4916 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Calibre can have multiple formats for the same book. When you send a book to the device, it picks from the available formats that the device understands and sends it. If there isn't a suitable format, it can do a conversion as part of the send. It will add the converted format to the library for later use.

Awesome, sounds like a no brainer. I havent delved deep into caliber, just removing the odd DRM and converting here and there. Makes it easy to have different readers then.
TJB4916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #26
Tomk2
Connoisseur
Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I think due to the frontlight issues of the Libra, it's out of the question for now until its issues are fixed. Which is a shame, because its kind of the reader I wanted most.

I think having the Oasis for home and the clara for travel is a great idea.

Calibre doesnt alter the original download when it creates another format. Perhaps "convert" is misleading, since the original file remains unchanged. It's more like a "translation" into the other format? Calibre then has your title listed once, but with multiple formats available. I havent yet done a large side load from Calibre, so I dont know how easy that is. 90% of my reading is library borrowed books, and Amazon sends my purchased and email-loaded books directly to any device I register to Amazon. It is quite convenient.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #27
Kekler
Kekler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Awesome, sounds like a no brainer. I havent delved deep into caliber, just removing the odd DRM and converting here and there. Makes it easy to have different readers then.
Why different users? There are also other opportunities.
Kekler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'd recommend using azw3 instead of mobi for the format to send to your Kindle devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote