Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Marked changed files in file browser?

I sometimes find that when I'm doing a search-and-replace across multiple files, I hit replace/next by accident, which does a replacement and moves me to another file. It's then quite hard to find the last changed file before the one I'm now in so I can undo the change, since the only indication is on the tab labels, and the tabs are order of opening rather than in file order.

Would it be possible to add a marker in the file browser to show which files have changed, as there is on the tab headings?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Quote:
quite hard to find the last changed file before the one I'm now in
Calibre opens each "found" file consecutively in the edit window. So, the last tab before the current is the culprit, isn't it? Also, when I am in the same situation, I find that changing the search "down" to "up" will get me back to previous hits.

In my edit sessions, most files get hit. I don't see how an icon on all those files in the file view will help...

There is also the "Revert To" button. Found that handy, esp. for my "Replace All" errors!

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 10-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:33 AM   #3
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I sometimes find that when I'm doing a search-and-replace across multiple files, I hit replace/next by accident, which does a replacement and moves me to another file. It's then quite hard to find the last changed file before the one I'm now in so I can undo the change, since the only indication is on the tab labels, and the tabs are order of opening rather than in file order.

Would it be possible to add a marker in the file browser to show which files have changed, as there is on the tab headings?
When you realize you've replaced something you didn't want to replace (or made some other unwanted change,) just hit ctrl-z, and the last change will be undone. Then the cursor will go back to the last item that was changed.

You can also use ctrl-z when in Windows File Explorer and other Windows applications to undo the last thing you did. Ctrl-Y is the command to redo the last undo command.

I don't use the "Revert to" command from the Top Menu to undo the last edit, because it can undo many more changes than you want to undo.

Last edited by deback; 11-02-2019 at 01:35 AM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
marker . . . on the tab headings?
I never noticed that before, is it new?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:15 AM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I never noticed that before, is it new?

BR
No. Its not new. If you open a file and edit it, you will see a little icon added to that tab. It will be gone if you close it or hit save.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tabs.png
Views:	125
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	174677  
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
No. Its not new. If you open a file and edit it, you will see a little icon added to that tab. It will be gone if you close it or hit save.
It also goes if you undo all you done with Ctrl+Z - which is sort of cute. I probably missed it because I hide buttons and bows wherever I can:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-02 195359.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	174678

BR
Old 11-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
all this time and uses and I never noticed those

thiago
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre has so many features, we just keep learning every day. Reading through the threads, I've learned things I never even dreamed was possible.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
Calibre opens each "found" file consecutively in the edit window. So, the last tab before the current is the culprit, isn't it?
Not if some of the files were already open.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
When you realize you've replaced something you didn't want to replace (or made some other unwanted change,) just hit ctrl-z, and the last change will be undone. Then the cursor will go back to the last item that was changed.
Only in the current file; not if the change was made in a separate file (think Replace and Find; it replaces, then goes to the next match, which might not be in the same file). My problem is finding which file it was in, if the replacement was not done in the current file.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
My problem is finding which file it was in, if the replacement was not done in the current file.
give the mouse a rest,

do until you find what your looking for {
close current tab (ctrl+w),
undo changes (repeated ctrl+z's) in new current tab until pencil icon on tab goes away,
if the change you are seeking wasn't there, redo what you just undone (repeated ctrl+y's)
}

BR
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
give the mouse a rest,

do until you find what your looking for {
close current tab (ctrl+w),
undo changes (repeated ctrl+z's) in new current tab until pencil icon on tab goes away,
if the change you are seeking wasn't there, redo what you just undone (repeated ctrl+y's)
}

BR
Or plan B: try to remember to go to the first file in the book and then hit ctrl-alt-W before every S&R sequence. Sigh.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Or Plan C - do what I try to do when doing a lot of editing on a file/book/video/etc

Frequent Save Copy (usually after running error check) to a 'current work' folder (in my case the desktop) with datetime prepended to the file name via an AHK shortcut.

BR
Old 11-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The editor includes the show changes tool for exactly this reason. You can see exactly what has changed where. Create a checkpoint before starting your search/replace then you can see what has changed since the checkpoint easily.

And I dont really see how showing modified info in the file browser will help this use case. WHat if you have a few modified files already there and then something you dont like happens, how will you know which modified file it happened it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote