Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2023, 12:50 AM   #16
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
...snipped for brevity...
Haha - I'm impressed. I appreciate that you've clearly thought through exactly what hardware you need for what task. I'm trying to find "the perfect thing" for all tasks which, of course, doesn't exist. So, maybe two things. I'd love to have one of everything just to play around with them, but that's not super-practical.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:53 AM   #17
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Kind of like being the "cat lady" of eReaders.
Nice. I get that!
Advert
Old 05-16-2023, 12:57 AM   #18
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast

Thanks for your input, everyone. It's nice to hang out where other people see absolutely nothing wrong with having several of something!
Old 05-16-2023, 02:18 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Kobo Libra 2 for most books, iPad for comics, iPad mini for manga-sized comics.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:22 AM   #20
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I use for light reading, mostly at bed-time or when traveling, and a Kindle Scribe, which I use for technical reference and note-taking and will occasionally read a graphic novel or other large-format book on.

Comics I usually read on my Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 (guess I need to update my reader list)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #21
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
- Kobo Clara HD: This was my first dedicated e-reader device (had a Nexus 7 before that until it was lost). Still works great. Fits nicely in my coat breast pocket.
- Kobo Sage: Wanted a bigger screen and page-turn buttons. Would've probably grabbed a Libra 2 but someone was eager to offload their gently-used Sage at a price I couldn't pass up. It's my daily driver, but I tend to leave it at home and keep the Clara HD around for daily commute and travel.
- Amazon Kindle 4th gen: bought it off eBay for 20 bucks. Never used. Literally just there so that I have a physical Kindle attached to my Amazon account and can remove the DRM from my Kindle books. I call it the "Leaving Amazon tax".
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:15 PM   #22
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Kindle Keyboard 3G
Pyrus Mini
Sony PRS-250

My latest device is the Pocketbook HD3.

I used to spend the majority of my time reading on the Kindle, mainly at home, using the smaller ereaders for carrying around with me. After confirming the HD3 was right for me I've since gifted the other ereaders as I find it perfect for both home reading and out and about.

The HD3 screen is bigger than the Sony and Pyrus devices, approximately the same screen size as Kindle 3G, but smaller and lighter overall as no keyboard and far smaller bezel. Still very pocketable though.

My main criteria:

- Pocketable
- Backlight/warm-light
- waterproof
- Opens multiple ebook formats
- Text to speech
- Plays MP3 audiobooks (is not locked to Audible)
- Bluetooth
- Easy to setup file sharing over WIFI for ebook transfer
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:36 PM   #23
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
8" 300 dpi Kobo Aura One (using Koreader app) for reading a smaller (A5 sized) pdf & djvu books and comics.

10" Onyx Boox Note 3 for reading & annotating bigger (A4 sized) or smaller pdf & djvu documents and comics.

Also, I don't mind using 10" Kindle DXG instead, among my still functional older ereaders.

Last edited by Marinolino; 05-17-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:42 PM   #24
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
- Sage: Wanted a bigger screen and page-turn buttons.
Just ordered one for exactly that reason.

Quote:
- Amazon Kindle 4th gen: bought it off eBay for 20 bucks. Never used. Literally just there so that I have a physical Kindle attached to my Amazon account and can remove the DRM from my Kindle books. I call it the "Leaving Amazon tax".
I like that approach (and the tax analogy). I spent more on my Kindle, but not so much that I'll feel guilty if it ends up just sitting on the shelf most of the time while I use something else.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:03 AM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I currently have 18 units - all in use. Most of my units are duplicates of favorites, bought through Woot, that had been discountinued. With the exception of upstairs and downstairs units that have the same thing being read, all of the rest are sideloaded. Fantasy series, Murder series, Kobo library, literary magazines, short stories/anthologies, cookbooks, as examples. Early units such as Kindle Keyboard and Touch are also used for text-to-speech. A couple are linked to family member's accounts. Some will be going this year due to vision changes. I am retired and do read a lot.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #26
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I have an old Kindle Keyboard that I keep around and registered so I can use the "Download & Transfer via USB" option for Kindle books from Amazon (at least until they do away with that feature). Then I have an old Inkbook Obsidian that was my favorite piece of eReader hardware ever, but the rubberized plastic got kinda gummy as it aged so now it sits in its case in the closet. Right now my main reader is an Inkbook Focus, because I like physical page turn buttons and Moon+ Reader, and I recently got a Nook Glowlight 4 because it's smaller so I can take it with me more easily when I go places. Not that I go places. But if I did, I would take it.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:47 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Talcum powder seems to be the only way to deal with "gummy" rubbery plastic. I've tried every solvent and cleaning compound.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:26 PM   #28
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Talcum powder seems to be the only way to deal with "gummy" rubbery plastic. I've tried every solvent and cleaning compound.
I think this is due to those soft touch (rubbery feeling) plastic coatings breaking down over time. It happens a lot on the grips of my hand-tools and in my car interior etc.

I didn't notice it on my Kindle, but I had a vinyl wrap on it since I purchased it. I did get it on my Pyrus ereader though.

I always use pure alcohol and a cotton cloth to remove the stickiness... sometimes a sponge scourer. You've effectively got to rub off the decaying outer layer of plastic. You might end up eroding away any printed button labeling unfortunately.

Sucks to do, but way better than constantly having that sticky/tacky feeling.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:14 PM   #29
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
On the sticky theme: I had a little Bluetooth speaker with "soft touch" exterior.
Over time it turned yellow and disgusting.
I used isopropyl and lots of elbow grease to scrub it down to the base of cheap white plastic.

On screens, I have:
  • Big TV - nope
  • 29" 2560 x 1080 desktop monitor (not for book reading)
  • Poke3 - main reader
  • Nook Glow 2021 - only as emergency backup
  • Shovelfuls of retired ereaders
  • Moto G - quick news check, email, SMS
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:55 PM   #30
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
For me it’s about using the right screen at the right time, which Whispersync on Kindles makes quite easy.

In the train I use the Voyage as the picture is so sharp. In the bed it’s the Oasis, as the Voyage doesn’t have dark mode, and I like the buttons when lying down. During the day at home it’s the Scribe in two-column mode, I like the “real book” feel of it and the responsiveness. And in a pinch I can read on my phone when I’m out and about without a Kindle. I also use audible, and the sync feature across audiobooks and kindle books is awesome.

I’d be happy to try other brands but so far Whispersync over 3G and LTE have kept me somewhat captive. Now that epubs are kind of supported (I know they technically are not but the new drag and drop web interface for send to kindle works well enough for me), it’s getting harder and harder to justify getting out of that golden cage.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 05-17-2023 at 03:58 PM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote