Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2023, 02:50 PM   #61
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tested The Tower Treasure. https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/fr...tower-treasure using the compatible version. It does not work with ADE 2.0.1. So they lie saying it's compatible. If remove all unused CSS and any remaining @ sections in the CSS, it works. So really, it's easy enough for them to stop the lies and make it compatible enough. But they won't so they lie instead.
That's odd, Jon, because I just went and downloaded the same title, compatible version, and it opened up with my ADE 2.01 just fine with NO changes by myself. I literally downloaded and double-clicked and it opened right up. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it. OK, it's lacking a cover, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to purchase a copy with a good dust jacket from the 1920s for scanning. Those don't necessarily come cheaply!

EDIT: ADE 2.01 is running on a Windows 10 PC.

Now, the formatting wasn't to MY particular preference, as there were spaces between the paragraphs, and headings were left aligned, unlike the original print books where they were centered, but the book was perfectly readable, the navigation worked, and I really couldn't see any problem AT ALL that should phase the average reader. Because it worked with Adobe 2.01, it should also open up on an older Sony, Nook, and of course Kobo readers.

I opened 'er up in Sigil, ran the epubCheck plugin, valid. CSS also valid except for some ebook specific stuff and there wasn't much of that. I can guarantee that many big publisher books don't pass epubCheck.

Are you sure the book doesn't work (i.e. unreadable, unnavigable, unopenable), or is it just that you don't care for the formatting?

Last edited by graycyn; 04-14-2023 at 02:59 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:17 PM   #62
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Find it funny that Jon is constantly at people to upgrade Calibre (and upgrade their version of Windows if they can't run the newest Calibre) but he won't upgrade his ADE
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2023, 11:01 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
...it's lacking a cover, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to purchase a copy with a good dust jacket from the 1920s for scanning.
StandardEbooks do have covers. It's just the way the books are formatted. The cover isn't the first xhtml file. I open the books with Sigil and use Add Cover to fix it. (I also justify the text.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:00 AM   #64
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
StandardEbooks is a curious case. It seems they are trying to squeeze something sensible out of the dumb HTML while a real book-tailored XML would do the job much easier.

Oh and apparently someone tried to reproduce the MOBI index functionality in EPUB... failing miserably.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:41 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is like opening modern websites in IE6 or Netscape 7 and complaining they look funky.
But it's a problem if these websites say they work with IE. SE says their compatible eBooks work with all apps and devices except Kindle and Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2023, 11:42 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
That's odd, Jon, because I just went and downloaded the same title, compatible version, and it opened up with my ADE 2.01 just fine with NO changes by myself. I literally downloaded and double-clicked and it opened right up. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it. OK, it's lacking a cover, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to purchase a copy with a good dust jacket from the 1920s for scanning. Those don't necessarily come cheaply!

EDIT: ADE 2.01 is running on a Windows 10 PC.

Now, the formatting wasn't to MY particular preference, as there were spaces between the paragraphs, and headings were left aligned, unlike the original print books where they were centered, but the book was perfectly readable, the navigation worked, and I really couldn't see any problem AT ALL that should phase the average reader. Because it worked with Adobe 2.01, it should also open up on an older Sony, Nook, and of course Kobo readers.

I opened 'er up in Sigil, ran the epubCheck plugin, valid. CSS also valid except for some ebook specific stuff and there wasn't much of that. I can guarantee that many big publisher books don't pass epubCheck.

Are you sure the book doesn't work (i.e. unreadable, unnavigable, unopenable), or is it just that you don't care for the formatting?
The formatting is wrong because ADE is ignoring the CSS. Open the same eBook in the Calibre viewer and you'll see what I mean.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:15 PM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it's a problem if these websites say they work with IE. SE says their compatible eBooks work with all apps and devices except Kindle and Kobo.
pedant
[ˈped(ə)nt]
NOUN

a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:09 PM   #68
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I hadn't heard of Standard Ebooks before. And it's not really something I have a huge interst in. But because of "certain people" and their odd complaints I suddenly feel "gosh, I really need to support this site..." Go figure...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote