Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-30-2023, 02:14 PM   #1
ecom
ecom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arrow E-reader with drag&drop functionality and no wifi? [epub, pdf, mobi]

Hi,

I was pondering getting my first e-reader ever. Normally I read books on paper or on my phone with moon reader+ (but I don't find this solution ideal with glaring/reflections and a small screen size).

Here are my requirements:
-Drag & drop functionality (connect to PC and load up epub/PDF/mobi files)
-No need to sign up for an account to a walled service in order to use basic functionality of the e-reader
-Backlight
-Can be purchased in the EU

I don't need/want:
-Wifi capabilities
-Bluetooth
-Audio
-Wireless charging
-Ads

I assume a Kindle would require to login with some type of Amazon account (and I assume you can't just load up files willy-nilly). If so, that breaks the 1st and 2nd requirement. If I'm wrong in my assumption, please let me know.

Another one I've seen talked about is a Kobo Clara HD, but don't know if that meets my requirements.

What brands/models would you recommend? I'm open to any brand or reader, so fire up below.

Thanks!

Last edited by ecom; 03-30-2023 at 02:17 PM.
ecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You won't find a Reader without WiFi. Just keep it off after having registered. Kobo is in Canada and has very strict privacy laws that they follow.

You have to have an account someplace in order to buy eBooks. Do you plan on buying eBooks or are you going to just read public domain eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
ecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You won't find a Reader without WiFi. Just keep it off after having registered. Kobo is in Canada and has very strict privacy laws that they follow.

You have to have an account someplace in order to buy eBooks. Do you plan on buying eBooks or are you going to just read public domain eBooks?
The latter. So there isn't an e-reader you can use even if the servers shutdown? So if Kobo as a company goes down, my e-reader turns into a brick?

Any particular models you recommend? (ignoring the wifi requirement if that really doesn't exist)

Thanks.

Other requirements I forgot to mention in OP:
-Dark mode (so inverting colors, black background, white letters)
-Storage doesn't matter
Old 03-30-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Your Kobo can be set into Sideloaded Mode by editing it's configuration file. And none of my Kobo's have turned into a brick when I have been in areas where WiFi was not available.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecom View Post
The latter. So there isn't an e-reader you can use even if the servers shutdown? So if Kobo as a company goes down, my e-reader turns into a brick?

Any particular models you recommend? (ignoring the wifi requirement if that really doesn't exist)

Thanks.

Other requirements I forgot to mention in OP:
-Dark mode (so inverting colors, black background, white letters)
-Storage doesn't matter
I recommend the Kobo Libra 2. It's a 7" screen. It does have dark mode.

You do not need to keep WiFi on. Kobo works perfectly well without WiFi. I keep WiFi off on my Libra 2 and I don't have any problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Kobo Clara 2E, Libra 2, or Sage would meet your requirements, depending on whether you care about having buttons and a 6, 7, or 8" screen. As DNSB said, you can enable sideload mode by editing the configuration file to bypass the registration process, and then you can leave Wi-Fi off permanently and load all your books over USB. Kobos show up as a simple USB flash drive, so you can copy/paste your books manually.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:15 PM   #7
ecom

I've narrowed it down to libra 2 vs libra h2o, over here the difference in price is 20€. Is the main difference the storage (32GB vs 8GB respectively)?
Old 03-31-2023, 12:26 AM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Libra 2 is the successor to the H2O. It has a (supposedly) more ergonomic design, more storage, audiobook support, and a better Carta 1200 screen. I would pick the Libra 2 just for the crisper screen.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:19 AM   #9
ecom

Thanks everybody for your help.

Bought a libra 2, quite happy with it.

In case some people read this thread later, you can indeed use the ereader without having a kobo account or installing any software, just connect it to a computer via USB and change this config file (on the top of the image you see the path of folders you need to follow for finding it) and setting SideloadedMode parameter to true (or adding the whole line if it doesn't exist there already). Eject the ereader from the computer, shut it down and turn it back on. You should be now in the main menu (granted, some features of the device require to log in, but that doesn't bother me much)

Last edited by ecom; 04-01-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecom View Post
Thanks everybody for your help.

Bought a libra 2, quite happy with it.

In case some people read this thread later, you can indeed use the ereader without having a kobo account or installing any software, just connect it to a computer via USB and change this config file
Or even simpler, if you have WiFi, use <fake-user>@<imaginary-domain>.<any-TLD>
The file method is needed if you have no WiFi at all (not even Mobile-WiFi hotspot-tether).
Also some tablets with OTG USB host mode can be used instead of a PC/
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:28 PM   #11
Aleron Ives
Wizard

It's simpler to register with a fake e-mail, but sideload mode eliminates the useless home screen and the stupid reading gameification awards and makes the UI cleaner and more direct.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:43 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
...and the stupid reading gameification awards...
What are those?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:16 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo used to have reading awards that you got for completing certain tasks. Reading in the middle of the night, for example. People used to worry about losing their awards as if they actually had value.

The last list I was aware of showed the following:
  • "Book lover" - sign in to your Kobo acount or create a new one today
  • "I <3 My Library" - started to build a digital library with Kobo
  • "Once Upon a Time" - started reading a new book
  • "Not an Open Book" - finished a book
  • "Pressed for details" - mastered the art of the long press (book details)
  • "Scout Leader" - 10 Kobo Achievements
  • "Highly Decorated" - 20 Kobo Achievements
  • "Night Rider" - you read all night long
  • "Word Up! 10" - new definitions for you
  • "Juggernaut" - turned 10.000 pages
  • "Page Turner" - read for 2 hours straight
  • "Afternoon Rush Hour" - read 5 times between 4pm and 6pm
  • "Happy Hour" - read 5 times during cocktail hour: 6pm - 8pm
  • "PrimeTime" - read 5 times during PrimeTime: 8pm - 10pm
  • "Better in Bed" - read 5 times during bedtime: 10pm - 12am
  • "Witching Hour" - read 5 times during Witching Hour: 12am - 1am
  • "Kill the Commute" - read 5 times between 7am and 9am
  • "Sleeping In" - read 5 times between 9am and 12am
  • "I Eat Books for Lunch" - read during lunchtime: 12pm and 2pm
  • "Playing Hooky" - read 5 times between 2pm and 4pm
  • "All You Can Eat" - Consume mass quantities to earn this Award
  • "Inverted Comma" - Select your favorite passages using our highlighting feature
  • "Facebook" - connect Facebook to your reading like to unlock this award
  • "Papillon" - 10 shares on Facebook

I think there several that are not on the list. I was never going to get all of them since I don't use Facebook and others were specific to the iOS and/or Android apps.

If someone is still worrying about those, they are many firmware revisions out of date.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:38 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard

When did Kobo get rid of them? My Libra 2 had the awards on 4.33 and possibly 4.34 before I switched to sideload mode, so the removal would have had to be in 4.34 or 4.35?
Old 04-01-2023, 10:59 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

If you look in Awards or in the database, the awards are still there. However, it's been quite a while since any of them updated for me. Also of the 17 awards that show on my Sage, the Facebook and Papillon awards are tied to Facebook which is no longer supported on a Kobo ereader.

They're a vestige of past days.