Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #16
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I just add a "Currently Reading" tag to any books I am currently reading and then have a virtual library set to the tag. Then I have set my virtual libraries as tabs so all I have to do is hit the "Currently Reading" tab.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/virtual_libraries.html
That sounds like a nice idea. I've managed to create a virtual library, but cannot figure out how to add only titles that have Reading column value set to Yes. Is that even possible, pls?

P
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:56 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
That sounds like a nice idea. I've managed to create a virtual library, but cannot figure out how to add only titles that have Reading column value set to Yes. Is that even possible, pls?

P
What is the lookup name of your Reading column?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

P
Here is my reverse of your goal (Have Read) to give you the Idea
Code:
#finished:true and formats:True
The reason for Formats is I also use Calibre to document my dead tree Library
That is the saved search. The VL is based upon that saved search.

How can you have made a VL without a (search) criteria?
AFAIK there is no (reasonable) limits on how many VL you can have on a Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:51 PM   #19
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Here is my reverse of your goal (Have Read) to give you the Idea
Code:
#finished:true and formats:True
How can you have made a VL without a (search) criteria?
AFAIK there is no (reasonable) limits on how many VL you can have on a Library.
THANK YOU! That did the trick, phew...
I have created the VL with a bad search :-( I used just "#reading", but you showed me I should have used "#reading:true" which finally did the trick. (reading being the lookup for the column)
I really like this VL as tabs idea. I may use it for my 2read or favorites as well. It's very fast to navigate. Definitely will explore more.

Best regards
P
Old 03-04-2023, 02:52 PM   #20
pavelh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What is the lookup name of your Reading column?
thanks for replying
as you've seen in the message above, finally solved :-)
Old 03-04-2023, 02:53 PM   #21
pavelh
Zealot

Many thanks to everyone who's chipped in. I really wouldn't be able to go thru it w/o your kind help!!!

Best regards
P
Old 03-04-2023, 05:38 PM   #22
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
THANK YOU! That did the trick, phew...
I have created the VL with a bad search :-( I used just "#reading", but you showed me I should have used "#reading:true" which finally did the trick. (reading being the lookup for the column)
I really like this VL as tabs idea. I may use it for my 2read or favorites as well. It's very fast to navigate. Definitely will explore more.

Best regards
P
Yeah, that tab option saved me a ton of time, as I have a TBR vr and a Currently Reading one as well.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:27 AM   #23
pavelh
Zealot

visual summary

I thought I might share my screenshot notes depicting the solution I've used based on all the advice here. Perhaps they may help someone who searches into this thread. For more info, just read this thread-it's all here.

P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	preferences_01 interface_03 add your own column - reading.png
Views:	117
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	200099   Click image for larger version

Name:	virtual library_01.png
Views:	123
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	200100   Click image for larger version

Name:	virtual library_02.png
Views:	115
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	200101   Click image for larger version

Name:	virtual library_03.png
Views:	121
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	200102  
Old 03-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #24
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I thought I might share my screenshot notes depicting the solution I've used based on all the advice here. Perhaps they may help someone who searches into this thread. For more info, just read this thread-it's all here.

P

I am intrigued.
How did you get the color on the Calibre screens.
Are they specific to your operating system?
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
I am intrigued.
How did you get the color on the Calibre screens.
Are they specific to your operating system?
I suspect they might be using system default for Calibre UI style.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:11 AM   #26
nnm
nnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I have a stored template, readstatus(), which pulls from a Kobo Utilities #percentread column and a Reading list #readinglist column.

Code:
program:

if $$#percentread >=#1 && $$#percentread <=#99
	then 'currentlyreading' 

elif "To Be Read" in $#readinglist && $$#percentread ==#0
	then 'toberead' 

elif $$#percentread >=#100
	then 'read' 

elif $$#percentread == 'None'
	then 'undefined' 

elif $$#percentread >=#0
	then 'unread' 

fi
I use it mainly for template checks and the like. Then I realized I could also have them appear in the tag browser.

Attachment 200069

Putting the template directly into the composite column also works and is simpler for most people.
I like the clean look of those icons instead of the default "column" icons. How did you change them and where did you get them?

Last edited by nnm; 05-24-2023 at 03:14 AM.
nnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #27
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't remember where I got the red bookmark icon - but I've attached it (with full apologies to the person who made it).

I've found the FatCow icons look good in tag browser and column icons.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #28
nnm
nnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I don't remember where I got the red bookmark icon - but I've attached it (with full apologies to the person who made it).

I've found the FatCow icons look good in tag browser and column icons.
Awesome, thank you. I've been trying to prettify calibre a bit, and changing icons certainly helps. I'm sure people have achieved some nice looking setups but I haven't found much sharing of screenshots for inspiration in this regard unfortunately.

I couldn't get the Wayback Machine download link to work btw (perhaps my fault), but based on the name I'm guessing it's the same as this one on uploaded to GitHub?
nnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:31 AM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yup, same one. 32x32.

Wayback Machine can be a bit slow sometimes.