Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-22-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
Frisbee
Frisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Libra H20
What's the best bookstore for easily-removeable DRM?

Kindle is just a nightmare now for DRM removal. Nothing I've tried has worked on anything released in the last few years. Plus I don't want to buy from them for a multitude of other reasons.

What other options are there? Is it easy enough to remove DRM from Kobo eBooks?
Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Smashwords, because there is never any DRM.
Kindle is fine for bought books if you have a Kindle eink.
Kobo is fine for bought books. No ereader or app needed.

There is no reason to remove DRM from subscription or library ebooks (KU borrows, Prime borrows, Kobo Plus loans, Libby, Overdrive, Borrowbox etc).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:51 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo allows you to download all your purchases with ADE, which makes DRM removal easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is no reason to remove DRM from subscription or library ebooks
Sure there is. As one example, if you want to override bad CSS that forbids you from changing the font, you'll have to decrypt the book to do it. You just need to be sure to delete all the files when your library loan expires.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Kobo allows you to download all your purchases with ADE, which makes DRM removal easy.

Except of course for Kobo Plus suscription ebooks which have no download option and ebooks without DRM which download with their GUID file.

Quote:
Sure there is. As one example, if you want to override bad CSS that forbids you from changing the font, you'll have to decrypt the book to do it. You just need to be sure to delete all the files when your library loan expires.
Or those Kindle users outside the USA or in the USA who do not have access to Amazon format loans. A rather small group and not the majority of ebook hoarders.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-22-2023 at 11:21 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:21 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
For Science Fiction Baen.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post

Kindle is just a nightmare now for DRM removal. Nothing I've tried has worked on anything released in the last few years. Plus I don't want to buy from them for a multitude of other reasons.

What other options are there? Is it easy enough to remove DRM from Kobo eBooks?
Kobo (but download ePub and not KePub)
eBooks.com
Google Play Books

All are ePub that use ADE DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:04 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Except of course for Kobo Plus suscription ebooks
I said Kobo lets you download your purchases, and Kobo Plus book rentals are not purchases, so that checks out.

Kindle Unlimited/Kobo Plus are in a different category from library books, as well. You pay for library books with your tax dollars, so the library loses nothing if you decrypt its books, as long as you delete them when the loan expires.

KU/KP, on the other hand, pay authors based upon how much reading you do, and that tracking doesn't work if you remove the DRM, so DRM removal for subscription services is not acceptable, IMO, as it prevents the authors from getting paid (i.e. it's stealing).
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
KU/KP, on the other hand, pay authors based upon how much reading you do, and that tracking doesn't work if you remove the DRM, so DRM removal for subscription services is not acceptable, IMO, as it prevents the authors from getting paid (i.e. it's stealing).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:40 PM   #9
Frisbee
Frisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Thanks everyone. Super helpful. I followed this advice and Smashwords didn't have the books I was after, but Kobo did. I bought one but I am unable to import it to Calibre or my device.

Which leads to my next thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353523
Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post
Thanks everyone. Super helpful. I followed this advice and Smashwords didn't have the books I was after, but Kobo did. I bought one but I am unable to import it to Calibre or my device.

Which leads to my next thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353523
From the other thread, your version of DeDRM is not going to work with the current version of Calibre. You need 10.0.3. https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:23 PM   #11
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From the other thread, your version of DeDRM is not going to work with the current version of Calibre. You need 10.0.3. https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
Or in theory use an earlier version of calibre on one machine, export then import to the latest calibre on a second one or use a different windows account.

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote