Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Haldir
Haldir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Aura HD
Sideload using web browser broken for larger files

Hi,
as my kobo aura hd just updated to 4.3.8842 and I noticed that the sideload of epubs using the web browser for epubs larger than ~1.4-2.0mb stopped working. It still works fine for files up to ~1.2mb (largest epub i have which still works, everything else is already like 1.7mb which do not work).
It shows the downloading popup with the progress bar but nothing happens, after abort it creates a 0 byte file.

I basically have a local file server running on my nas with file listing enabled and copy my epubs there and use the webbrowser to download them. I tried another webserver on my desktop machine but it didn't help.

Factory Reset didn't help.

I downgraded to 3.19 and it works again.

I looked for this bug on the appropriate firmware threads but couldn't find anything.
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I've had a play and I can see the problem as well. It seemed to work for slightly larger files, but it definitely didn't get to 4MB.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried 4.3.8871 to see if the browser works with larger eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should have said, my tests were with 4.3.8871.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Haldir
Haldir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I should have said, my tests were with 4.3.8871.
Thank you for confirming my findings, now I don't need to reproduce it on 8871 anymore.
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
The issue also occurs on the Aura One. With a bit of experimenting, I found I could download an epub 2,098,557 bytes in size but not one 2,428,144 bytes in size - so the maximum limit seems to be somewhere between those two figures.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Since the f/w is basically the same on all devices, the issue will occur on all devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
The issue also occurs on the Aura One. With a bit of experimenting, I found I could download an epub 2,098,557 bytes in size but not one 2,428,144 bytes in size - so the maximum limit seems to be somewhere between those two figures.
Interesting. My personal guess from what has been posted was that the limit would be 2,097,152 (2MB or 2^21) bytes. Another beautiful theory shot down by an ugly fact.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Do you have the new home page enabled? Or does it happen with the old as well? Someone on the Russian forum had trouble with reading of large books and tracked it down to the new home screen.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The problem is in the browser and happens on all my devices no matter what home screen. I reported to Kobo and they have reproduced it.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
iostrym
Connoisseur
iostrym began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
thanks for explaining I have same problem, it is a shame because I wanted to use browser to download epub and pdf from my COPS database.

is there any workaround ?
iostrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostrym View Post
thanks for explaining I have same problem, it is a shame because I wanted to use browser to download epub and pdf from my COPS database.

is there any workaround ?
The bug being discussed in the thread, was fixed in the 4.4.x firmware. Unfortunately, another came in with the 4.5.x firmware that broke downloads in a different way while extending something else in the downloads. With 4.5.x, downloads only work if the URL does not include the file name, but the file name is supplied as part of the the Content-Disposition header. This should be fixed in the next release.

So, the workaround is upgrade to 4.4.9344 or 4.4.9349 but not to 4.5.x if the browser downloads are important to you.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
Xandrodis
Xandrodis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The bug being discussed in the thread, was fixed in the 4.4.x firmware. Unfortunately, another came in with the 4.5.x firmware that broke downloads in a different way while extending something else in the downloads. With 4.5.x, downloads only work if the URL does not include the file name, but the file name is supplied as part of the the Content-Disposition header. This should be fixed in the next release.

So, the workaround is upgrade to 4.4.9344 or 4.4.9349 but not to 4.5.x if the browser downloads are important to you.
how can we create a link which does not include the file name ?
Xandrodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrodis View Post
how can we create a link which does not include the file name ?
It will depend on the server and software used to generate the pages being viewed. Most will be coded one way or the other, and it will probably mean fiddling with the code to change.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
iostrym
Connoisseur
iostrym began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi all, I have the feeling the nothing change on this bug, right ? No firmware update and link still don't work. Even with a small epub file of 20kb. Is there a safe and easy procedure to downgrade on a previous firmware with download working ?
iostrym is offline   Reply With Quote