Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
lilly456
lilly456 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which ereader should I get? [Chinese ePub/vertical text]

Hi everyone,
I've never owned an e-reader before. I have taken a look at different models, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount.

I'd like to get one to read books in Chinese. I would like if the reader could support epub vertical text, txt files, as well as easy to change custom fonts. No need for a dictionary or android support.

I heard kobos don't last a long time and break (not sure, I read that in some reviews), I'd also like to avoid kindles since they can't read epubs.

Thanks in advance!
lilly456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I would say that Kobo's are no more prone to breakage/failure than any other devices. The only real difference is that Kindle is more likely to replace a USER broken device than Kobo (i.e. a screen cracked by twisting). Can't comment directly on Chinese on the Kobo, but if you use Kepub (Kobo's version of epub -- mostly easy to convert from epub), but I believe it does what you're looking for on that front.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've added your main requirement to the thread title. This might attract people with the right knowledge to this thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
lilly456

Thank you very much to both.

From what I've read it would seem the kobo is capable of supporting vertical text and custom fonts. If I were to get a kobo would it be a good idea to try to take precautions? i.e. a good case and a screen protector?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't need a screen protector on a Reader. A good case yes, that's essential.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
lilly456

Thanks everyone. After doing a bit a research it seems that you can jailbreak the kindle and get koreader, that would allow me to load txt files and read text vertically.

I think it has to be a certain firmware. Does anyone know what firmware a new paperwhite would come at? Also would it update as soon as I connect to the Internet?
Old 04-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
You can install koreader on Kobo without jailbreak. Just saying.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if you buy a Kindle, you cannot be sue you will get a firmware that allows jailbreaking. So you could end up with a Kindle that you cannot use as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote