Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre + Kobo Touch debug info

If somebody could please help with this, I'd appreciate it. Many people have been trying to assist with my error [and other people's errors also] in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18#post2024918

Here's my debug info:

Version: 0.8.45
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27c8&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27ca&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27cb&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27c9&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid27cc&rev0001',
u'usb\\vid_15d9&pid_0a33&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326']
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA JETBOOK
JETBOOK_COLOR JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KINDLE_FIRE KOBO
LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY
NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2 ODYSSEY ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL
PDNOVEL_KOBO PI2 PICO PLAYBOOK POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1 README S60
SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3
THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER

Looking for devices...
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326'

Devices possibly connected: None
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That appears to be the first debug: without the device connected. Now we need the second one, WITH the device connected (used to determine differences and help identify specific devices.)

You might also include the exact Kobo Model (sometimes there are versions of the same model) and Firmware revision
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That appears to be the first debug: without the device connected. Now we need the second one, WITH the device connected (used to determine differences and help identify specific devices.)

You might also include the exact Kobo Model (sometimes there are versions of the same model) and Firmware revision
Apologies, I should have known to post more details.
Kobot Touch. Shows 275 MB used of 1400
Software version 1.9.17 (r37603, 3/16/12)

That first debug I posted is what shows after I get the error, but before I eject. Sorry I misunderstood.
Here's what the debug Calibre gets on initial loading, before I try to change anything. [but after the Windows file disappears]

Version: 0.8.45
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27c8&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27ca&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27cb&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27c9&rev0001',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid27cc&rev0001',
u'usb\\vid_15d9&pid_0a33&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326']
Drives detected:
(0) E:\ ~ USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3170 701547A&0
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA JETBOOK
JETBOOK_COLOR JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KINDLE_FIRE KOBO
LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY
NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2 ODYSSEY ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL
PDNOVEL_KOBO PI2 PICO PLAYBOOK POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1 README S60
SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3
THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER

Looking for devices...
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326'
Detected possible device KOBO

Devices possibly connected: Kobo Reader Device Interface,
Trying to open Kobo Reader Device Interface ... OK
Main memory: 'E:\\'
Total space: (1469030400, 0, 0)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is the one
Now the developer has info to work with.
We just have to wait (he is many time zones away )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For the 300th time, calibre uses standard operating system calls to read and write files on the Kobo. If you are having problems with the Kobo then the problem is in some combination of three places:

1) The Kobo (and this is by far the most likely)
2) The USB connectors (ports or cables)
3) Your computer's motherboard/USB drivers

And no doubt you will say that everything else works fine but calibre doesn't, so the problem must be in calibre. It's like saying your car works fine as long as you drive it below 35 MPH and the moment you take it over that speed the engine starts belching smoke. The Kobo Touch in combination with some hardware is simply not capable of handling the load calibre puts on it. That is not a bug in calibre.

If I were you I'd return my Kobo and get a decent non-Kobo reader that doesn't malfunction at the drop of a hat.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For the 300th time, calibre uses standard operating system calls to read and write files on the Kobo. If you are having problems with the Kobo then the problem is in some combination of three places:

1) The Kobo (and this is by far the most likely)
2) The USB connectors (ports or cables)
3) Your computer's motherboard/USB drivers

And no doubt you will say that everything else works fine but calibre doesn't, so the problem must be in calibre. It's like saying your car works fine as long as you drive it below 35 MPH and the moment you take it over that speed the engine starts belching smoke. The Kobo Touch in combination with some hardware is simply not capable of handling the load calibre puts on it. That is not a bug in calibre.

If I were you I'd return my Kobo and get a decent non-Kobo reader that doesn't malfunction at the drop of a hat.
I didn't ask 300 times. I did post in a thread now 4 pages long where numerous people tried to help with this error, and I'm not the only one having it. I posted only after numerous attempts to fix this without posting debug info [read: without bothering you before I tried to fix this myself with the forums assistance]. Perhaps you should make a disclaimer in your initial thread advising people with Kobo not to waste their time posting debug info.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The 300 refers to the number of times I have answered this question, as a simple google search will show you, including once in the very thread you posted in. Unfortunately, in this universe, refusing to accept reality is not going to change it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
angiebarregar
angiebarregar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Love Calibre, Love Kobo, Not a fan of this response.

@kovidgoyal: I absolutely love Calibre since I started using it this fall. I seem to be the e-reader guru (for them, though I just use the software very basically) for all my friends and family and have used Kindle and nooks but mostly Kobo. Mostly Kobo because I am Canadian and when I was deciding on buying an e-reader I went with the Kobo touch. At that time, the Kindle didn't even have a touch version and Kobo actually offers a huge amount of Canadian books that Amazon and Barnes and Noble (as well as google etc.) don't seem to realize exist. I bought 2 Kobo Touches as gifts the week they were released and then bought 2 more at Christmas as gifts. I have used Calibre to load everything flawlessly on kindle, nook and the more recent Kobo touches, however, today I ran into a problem using Calibre with the older, original Kobo touches. After searching the internet, and following all the posted advice from forums (including posts from yourself), changing computers, changing cables, (and having the advantage of having 3 different Kobos to experiment with), I also came to the conclusion that it was not the Calibre that was buggy but the Kobo. Just to ensure I was not missing anything, I did a final search and found this particular post. I can understand your frustration at hundreds of people requesting solutions to what they think is a bug in Calibre, but until there is an ereader that can provide me with equal Canadian content (and unless you'd like to pass on the $100 to buy a new one as you suggest), I'll continue to use and love my Kobo. I will just go back to using Adobe digital editions with it rather than Calibre. I would imagine that simply posting a link to the problems with Kobo as you have on other forums may be a more positive way of dealing with a frustrating situation that attacking some poor calibre user who was just trying to figure out what has gone wrong. And though I have to admit I am not a fan of ade, and I am an enormous fan of calibre, I will have to switch back because it does work with the Kobo.
angiebarregar is offline   Reply With Quote