Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the best screen size for an eReader?
5'' 24 15.79%
6'' 39 25.66%
7'' 28 18.42%
9''-10'' 42 27.63%
11'' and larger 19 12.50%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is clearly no such thing as THE ideal size. It depends where you are reading, and what you are reading.

Reading technical PDFs or magazines requires a large screen. Novels can confortably be read on a small screen. Small devices are great for portability; large-screen devices allow you to see more at a time.

It is, therefore, a meaningless question to ask what THE ideal size is. That implies that there is one size which is ideal for everything. That is clearly not the case. That's why one requires multiple reading devices.
You have a point dude. It's like with the automotive industry; we need motorcycles, SUVs, Trucks...etc

But for reading, I think we can find a suitable size to suit most eBooks and PDFs. I see that as the 10" device.
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #17
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I have 2 6" V3s and a 5" V5. I mostly read epub novels on the 5". It has a sharper screen and is so much easier to carry everywhere. I use the EcoReader when the V5 needs charging and keep the older V3 for my older mobipocket files.

I also have a 4" pocket pc that I used for quite a while but my definite preference is the 5".
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Maybe it's my bad vision but I prefer a larger screen. I love my DX because of the 9" screen, even for reading novels. It's not as portable but I do most of my reading at home. I tend to read on my smartphone when out and about and that has a 4" diagonal widescreen.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I love reading on my Palm with its 3" screen. Compared to that my Hanvon's 5" screen seems huge, but the books displays really well in .epub format...

Size doesn't matter - it's the words that count.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I didn't vote because one size doesn't fit all. Five to Six inch screens seem to be about perfect for most books, but 10-11" screens are better for PDFs, graphic novels, and many textbooks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
My Sony-505 is a good screen size for novels, and the device size is fine too.... but they could slim down the bezels a bit - especially vertically. So keep the 505 overall form factor but increase screen as big as possible within that size.

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
But for reading, I think we can find a suitable size to suit most eBooks and PDFs. I see that as the 10" device.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I have a 10" device (iRex DR1000S). It's great for reading at home, but way, way to big to carry around with you, as you can do with a 5" or 6" device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I want two..one to carry around (4") and one for around the house (11")
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think a good 8 inch screen might be a decent enough size for PDF if it allows the margin to be removed. And come a moderator please fix the poll to add in an 8 inch scree?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
I personally think a 10' device is perfect. It is generally managable and allows the display of PDFs (at least in the landscape mode) in a easy and accessible way.
I hate to say this, but I will.. Your poll is invalid because you left out 8 inch screens. So all the people who voted didn't get an opportunity to chose (or not) 8 inches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i totally agree. 6" is perfect for relaxing reading, but 9" or larger would be better for graphic novels, which i don't even bother to read on a 6" screen. and a 5" or maybe 4" reader would be perfect to bring along.

Quote:
There is clearly no such thing as THE ideal size. It depends where you are reading, and what you are reading.

Reading technical PDFs or magazines requires a large screen. Novels can confortably be read on a small screen. Small devices are great for portability; large-screen devices allow you to see more at a time.

It is, therefore, a meaningless question to ask what THE ideal size is. That implies that there is one size which is ideal for everything. That is clearly not the case. That's why one requires multiple reading devices.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #27
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
For a portable, carry-everywhere device I think the 5 inch reader is just about the perfect size. But for PDFs and such, something with a screen at or near 8.5x11 inches would be very nice. And some day, hopefully, really large, high resolution color readers (say, maybe 2 feet diagonally) for art books.

Eventually, I think pretty much everyone who cares about reading will have several readers of various sizes and types, the same way people now tend to accumulate multiple computers, cell phones, mp3 players, and such over time.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #28
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'm in the one size does not fit all camp. I like the 6" screens for portability and they are fine for novels but for technical books they don't cut it. I'd like a 10-11" screen for that.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #29
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I like 5 inch and I'd like 8inch if it was done with minimal bezels like the design of the DR800. this keeps the device from being not very much bigger than a 6inch device. Plus I like 10-12 inch for mags/newspapers and pdf/educational/business documents.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #30
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I have a 10" device (iRex DR1000S). It's great for reading at home, but way, way to big to carry around with you, as you can do with a 5" or 6" device.
Hmm, Enlighting!
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote