Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #46
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Probably similar to the iLiad situation. I believe that was why it was the only 8 inch device. It was a custom size only for them, although as mentioned above it's now an available size from pvi
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #47
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonict72 View Post
Sony does not make screen. PVI does. They sell four models - 5 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, and 9.7 inches. There is no 7 inch diagonal screen.
There is a 2nd manufacturer, LG, but I agree that this is not a previously announced screen size. I have convinced myself that this is a wide-screen variant of the standard 6" screen, i.e. 600x800 for 6" becomes 600x1024 for 7" diagonal. Not everyone is convinced, and we won't know for sure until someone at Sony (or PVI) tells us.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The 8" screen doesn't appear to have the right aspect ratio to match the photos of the Sony. More than likely it's some kind of custom size screen they're doing for Sony.
Second to it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #49
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a 2nd manufacturer, LG, but I agree that this is not a previously announced screen size. I have convinced myself that this is a wide-screen variant of the standard 6" screen, i.e. 600x800 for 6" becomes 600x1024 for 7" diagonal. Not everyone is convinced, and we won't know for sure until someone at Sony (or PVI) tells us.
i am pretty sure sony is using custom screens from lg for the daily edition, at least.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #50
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yeah,photo's can be deceiving...
They can actually scale the 7" device, to make it look as wide as the 6" device...
So you can't really trust that...

If the proportion of height and width are in a 1:1 ratio, we could say that the 7" device does appear to have a longer screen.
But it takes very little for a photo editor to just stretch the picture and make it appear as if the device is longer.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #51
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
There was a 10 minutes interview, with someone from Sony I think. you can definitely see that the reader is disproportionally long.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #52
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I was wondering... Do we know anything about paying for the 3G connection. Will it be absorbed with price of books or the device with free service, or will customers have to pay a subscription? I would not consider paying 400.00 for a device if I have to pay for the wireless connect on top of that since that is the only reason to purchase that device. For that reason, I would just purchase the Kindle DX or the potential Plastic Logic device to read periodicals instead of the new Sony.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #53
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
I was wondering... Do we know anything about paying for the 3G connection. Will it be absorbed with price of books or the device with free service, or will customers have to pay a subscription? I would not consider paying 400.00 for a device if I have to pay for the wireless connect on top of that since that is the only reason to purchase that device. For that reason, I would just purchase the Kindle DX or the potential Plastic Logic device to read periodicals instead of the new Sony.
They indicated it would be free access to the sony bookstore. We'll have to wait and see if they eventually open it up to more sites like the kindle and if they do, weather we'll have to pay for it.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote