Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #511
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Shame most of Dan Brown's historical context and geographical knowledge is rubbish.

I have read a couple of his books, but the inaccuracies and the poor writing doesn't do it for me. Patrick Quentin is another I have tried but didn't like, but it is horses for courses and it is good we all have different opinions otherwise life here would be boring!
it is a style thing
some people like books of william irish, erle stanley gardner, patrick quentin, ellery queen
and some people don't like
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #512
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
^thanks for the recommendation. I assume the authors name is Rector?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #513
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Sherlockian - Graham Moore

A first novel by Graham Moore, The Sherlockian is based loosely on the bizarre 2004 death of Richard Lancelot Green, a famous Sherlock Holmes scholar who will be remembered for his many contributions to anthologies of Holmes pastiches and "rivals" including books and TV series The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes.

Harold White, a late 20s-something Sherlockian (he wears a deerstalker cap in public ...), has befriended Alex Cale, the world's foremost Sherlock Holmes scholar who dies mysteriously in his New York hotel room during a meeting of the Irregulars. Harold investigates the murder, funded by Simon Conan Doyle, and is accompanied by Sarah Lindsay, a budding journalist hoping to break a great story. Cale allegedly found the sole missing Arthur Conan Doyle diary and his murder (?) appears linked to the lost then found now missing diary. The trail quickly leads to London; several famous Holmes settings are visited.

Chapters alternate between Harold's pursuit of the diary and the life and goings on of Arthur Conan Doyle during the missing weeks of the diary. Doyle was a good friend of Bram Stoker and, like Sarah for Harold, Stoker plays Watson to Doyle's Holmes as the author assists Scotland Yard in uncovering the murder of young women in London.

Moore has devised a splendid plot and has steeped the novel in twists and enough Sherlockiana to make a "cracking good read". Moore's weakness is in character development and never quite manages to breath life into any of them, although several players add delightful colour. Occasionally, the author rises above himself and delivers some moving insights into the end of the an era that Holmes inhabited, using the deployment of electric lights on London streets as metaphor.

Available as a Kindle or a Nook.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #514
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've just finished "The House of Silk" by Anthony Horowitz -

Quote:
For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.
Overall, I was pleased. Horowitz has certainly captured/copied/emulated Doyle's writing style very well. And frequent references to previous cases (published & apocryphal) are welcome.
But I was bothered by the characterization of Watson & Holmes - there was something "off" or "not quite right" (unless I was over-reading it) - Holmes is made into a quasi-action figure, and Watson's role is largely one of wringing hands off stage from the action.

I caught the relevant clue immediately, which somewhat spoiled the remainder of the chase, but it was entertaining to watch Horowitz tie together the two separate plot lines. The (eventual) subject of the case was somewhat "modern" and jarring, but handled well.

But of all the pastiches I have read, this one is hands down the finest stylistic attempt to add another tale to the Holmes canon, and I look forward to Horowitz's next endeavor.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #515
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

Overall, I was pleased. Horowitz has certainly captured/copied/emulated Doyle's writing style very well. And frequent references to previous cases (published & apocryphal) are welcome.
But I was bothered by the characterization of Watson & Holmes - there was something "off" or "not quite right" (unless I was over-reading it) - Holmes is made into a quasi-action figure, and Watson's role is largely one of wringing hands off stage from the action.

I caught the relevant clue immediately, which somewhat spoiled the remainder of the chase, but it was entertaining to watch Horowitz tie together the two separate plot lines. The (eventual) subject of the case was somewhat "modern" and jarring, but handled well.

But of all the pastiches I have read, this one is hands down the finest stylistic attempt to add another tale to the Holmes canon, and I look forward to Horowitz's next endeavor.
Thanks for the update. It's next on my list
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #516
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned Chelsea Cain - her Archie & Gretchen "Heartsick" series. Gretchen Lowell truly is the finest successor (alongside Dexter Morgan) to Hannibal Lector - as a completely evil, soulless, brilliant, manipulative, and yes - likeable - serial killer. Start with Heartsick, if you're snagged - read them in order.

(http://www.amazon.com/Heartsick-eboo...9263578&sr=1-2)
Well I finally got round to reading Heartsick, and it was well worth the wait! Thanks again for the recommendation. I am now moving on to Sweetheart, the second in the series.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #517
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Having spent the last few months firmly in the fantasy world (Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin) I has been quite nice to get back into crime!

Currently reading Arnaldur Indridason. Very downbeat characters and very slow, but enthralling, action. Given up on the place names though.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #518
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Peter May's Lewis Trilogy of books anyone?

I've just finished 'The Lewis Man' ('The Blackhouse' is the first in the series), and I can't rate it highly enough. Set in the far north of Scotland, on the Isle of Lewis, it features police detective Fin Macleod, and is as much about the relationships between him and other characters than about the mystery/crime plot it's based upon.

Both books are pretty cheap on Amazon right now, buy them both for just over £3 / $5.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #519
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I recently read Plugged by Eoin Colfer of Artemis Fowl fame.

I was pleasantly surprise to find it a hard boiled, randomly violent, but humourous crime story. Certainly a bit different.

I enjoyed it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #520
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

I've just finished 'The Lewis Man' ('The Blackhouse' is the first in the series), and I can't rate it highly enough. Set in the far north of Scotland, on the Isle of Lewis, it features police detective Fin Macleod, and is as much about the relationships between him and other characters than about the mystery/crime plot it's based upon.

Both books are pretty cheap on Amazon right now, buy them both for just over £3 / $5.
Have the 1st 2 in the series waiting to be read. Currently 2nd & 3rd on my TBR list.
Also picked them up cheap at Kobo.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #521
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:

I really enjoyed the two I've read, a great series I hope there are more of them.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #522
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
Having spent the last few months firmly in the fantasy world (Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin) I has been quite nice to get back into crime!

Currently reading Arnaldur Indridason. Very downbeat characters and very slow, but enthralling, action. Given up on the place names though.
I've read maybe 3 of Indridason's books and enjoyed reading about contemporary and past Icelandic culture.

He's a thoughtful writer and wove some interesting threads into his books .... but my golly, they were dark in nature!!

I stopped reading after the 3 titles, but now there's been a number of years in between maybe it's time again. Though I can still recall some of the more gruesome relationships, and I'd rather not.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #523
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Just curious, why is it considered an adult novel?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #524
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:

I added The Blackhouse to my wish list last week after finishing the first of Peter May's Enzo McCloud series. I'm currently listening to the second one which I found on Overdrive via my library. Very enjoyable character's and puzzles.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #525
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Those Peter May books are part of a trilogy (The Lewis Trilogy), and the third book is out in January next year..... it may end up being the first full price Kindle book I've ever bought

The Blackhouse & The Lewis Man are both pretty expensive on Kobo right now (at least for me in the UK) which is why I mentioned the Amazon price. Particularly the second book, it's only 20p (or 32 cents on Amazon.com), don't know where you are Synamon, but if available it's got to be well worth picking up at that price!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mystery ebooks, thriller