Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
kaz1
kaz1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to go beyond font size 72 on a kindle DX?

Hi,

I'm trying to set a kindle DXG that I've got from ebay for my grandma to be able to read from. I've installed coolreader, hoping it would not have a maximum cap like the built-in reader does, but apparently it would not go beyond 72.

I wanted to ask - Is there any way, using the DXG's innate reader or using any external hack/app, to go beyond font size 72? I think I need about twice that size for my grandma to be able to read comfortably.
Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Eli
kaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Since I've never owned DX or DXG or even Kindle 2, I must ask you to refresh my memory: did those devices had user accessible "reader.pref" file at /mnt/us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader folder (where /mnt/us = "Kindle drive" = what you see when you connect Kindle to your PC; system folder is hidden by default) like Kindle 3 has had it?

It your device has that reader.pref file inside you will see "FONT_SIZE=25" (or some other value) you should try this:

1) Exit to "home" ie exit any book you where reading
2) Connect you Kindle to your PC, go to that location
3) Open reader.pref in some text editor (like Notepad++ if you're on Windows)
4) input value bigger than 72 so you have something like "FONT_SIZE=96". Save the file
5) disconnect you Kindle from you PC.
6) Don't open any book on your Kindle (if you do it will overwrite the change you made)
7) Restart you Kindle from Setting page
8) When Kindle finishes restarting open a book (don't touch anything in Aa menu) and see if the text is now larger than that largest font size.

Check this thread for some more info and screenshots of reader.pref contents>

If you've managed to get bigger text with that "trick" than you can consider making a permanent change to those 8 predefined font sizes in Aa menu by using this hack. Check included readme file (and/or linked forum thread) if it support your Kindle's firmware version!
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
kaz1

Thanks!

The modification works, but only up to size 99, it won't accept 3 digit font sizes. Is this a technical issue or some kind of bug/cap related to only being able to process 2 digit font sizes?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Check(read whole thread and/or posts by thread starter) the second thread. I think I saw somewhere there that the array of values hardcoded in. jar file(s) ends with 100.

The values you put inside that hack's configuration file probably overrides the default upper limit of 100.
Ie install the bin, changde the values (input something over 100 for the last value) restart Kindle and see what happens.

p. s. Configured & tested SSH access is very much recommended (for debricking purposes) when "playing" with system files.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:38 AM   #5
kaz1

Modifying the hack worked! Thank you
Advert