Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Read while you jog...

What do you think of this device?
http://mashable.com/2013/09/08/run-n-read/

Clips onto your body to make it easier to read on your tablet while you run on a treadmill. I only walk on my treadmill and don't have a problem reading while walking, but I do prefer to jog in my pool whenever I can, and just the other day I was pondering how I could rig something to let me read while I water-jog. Round and round in an 18' circle can get a bit boring. I guess this wouldn't work for that.

I do read in the pool with a Lifeproof case on my phone, but it's too bouncy to read while I jog, and I need to move my arms. Considered a harmonica holder but I think it would be too close to my face not to mention too bouncy. So for now I stick to reading a chapter as reward for a certain goal.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I actually would be interested in this. I read while on a stationary bike and have always wanted some type of "remote" that I could use to turn the pages instead of reaching to the tablet (which is just a hair too far away for comfortable turning).
I think I have more questions about the site I've not seen a site like that before (although I think someone at work was talking about something like this). From reading, it looks like you get your money back if the project falls through? Just not quite sure how it works.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the page turning would be handy. It's a bit of a stretch for me on the treadmill. I'd be interested if they make it open enough that other apps could add support for it. I've never participated in a crowd-funded project either so couldn't tell you about that.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I do a brisk 30 minute walk to work and back every day.
I don't have a problem with reading in that way.

But I expect I'd need that gadget to jog to work.. hmmm pretty nifty.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm sorry, but as a long distance runner, this is the stupidest thing I think I've heard of.

Eyes on the road, path, etc. It's unsafe for you and the people around you.

On the dreadmill, MAYBE it could be useful...but I doubt I'd ever use one.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audiobooks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
One of the few times I do not read is while working out. I prefer to meditate while working out.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm curious about how well it would work, since I would think that the incongruent motion of the text and the rest of the world would produce motion sickness. But I could be wrong.

I'm also horrified. I've come close to being trampled by herds of joggers (and even individual joggers) before because they aren't paying attention. It is at the point where I have to listen for their footsteps approaching from behind me in certain neighbourhoods at particular times of the day.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
But it's for use on a piece of exercise equipment, not for jogging outside.

Still, it seems kind of pointless to me, when you can more easily listen to an audiobook.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Its an okay idea but I think its just as easy to page turn on the tablet itself...I saw one poster say the tablet is just out of reach so I guess it may be helpful then.

I actually don't read on the treadmill while running...to much bouncing around. Instead i watch a tv episode on Kindle Fire HD. One 50 minute episode and the treadmill is done.

EDIT: Don't some reading apps allow you to change pages using volume up and down buttons? In that case, you could just use bluetooth headphones with volume buttons...
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Queensjoy
Nameless Being

Allow me to quote passionate gymgoers around the world: 'If you can read, run harder.'
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm curious about how well it would work, since I would think that the incongruent motion of the text and the rest of the world would produce motion sickness. But I could be wrong.

That was my thought too. I find even watching a TV that's too close can be difficult due to the motion.

They say this is meant to be used indoors. But I see at least one poster here reads while walking outside. So we know some people would use it for that, which is simply idiotic.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensjoy View Post
Allow me to quote passionate gymgoers around the world: 'If you can read, run harder.'
...or if you can converse. Actually good advice if you want effective workouts.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

I sent in a question to ask if this device would be able to be supported by third party apps, and they said yes.
Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Our goal is to add and support as many 3rd party apps as possible. It's very simple for all 3rd party apps to support run-n-read - they just need to give access to the display for us to move it around...
Another example they give is for reading in the car. If reading in a car normally makes you carsick, this may help. I think it's interesting...
Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Still, it seems kind of pointless to me, when you can more easily listen to an audiobook.
This.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote