Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
sophiek
sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Home page books not updating/ deleted books staying in library

I am a big Kobo fan, having been an early adopter with the original Kobo and purchasing the KT the day it was released. Very few glitches to speak of since I only load books from kobobooks in their format so everything has been very straightforward. Until last week while I was on holidays...

I finished a book, removed it from my shortlist and turned off the KT. Later that day when I turned it back on, this book still appeared on my home page (where the 5 most recently read titles usually appear) so I decided to delete the book. It all seemed to work so I turned off the KT and turned it back on to make sure the book was gone. Now a blank cover is on the home page (still the most prominent, as in most recently read) and the book is still on my shortlist even though if I try to load it, it can't (because I deleted it). Now the home page is stuck with the same 5 books that were there a week ago (including the now blank one). I have since read 2 more books while away, however I had to keep track of where I ended each time, go to my library to find the book each time I wanted to read, go to the table of contents and get to where I was on my own- the bookmarking is not working. It does still work however if the KT is only going into sleep mode. When I power up from sleep, I am where I left off in the book. I have also tried deleting the last 2 books I read to remove them from my shortlist- they still remain in my library even though I can no longer open them, because they really are not there.

I hope I have explained this so someone can understand it. Any suggestions other than a factory reset? I am on the latest software version and have been using the KT for a long time- not sure why it would go wonky on me now?
sophiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This does sound like a corrupted database and as far as I know the only fix IS a reset.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This does sound like a corrupted database and as far as I know the only fix IS a reset.
I would tend to agree.

I will add that I have started pausing for a second or two before powering off or simply going to sleep mode and allowing the timer to turn the unit off. The reason is that I have noticed that sometimes the KT will appear to hang for a second or two on various commands and I attribute this to the processor taking care of computer things. I suspect that if one of these things happens while powering off, it could result in a corrupt database. So it is a matter of wanting to avoid hard resets.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
If you were deleting a kepub located onboard your Touch I would agree with the others. However, if the ebook you were deleting was located on your SD card you MUST delete those via connecting to a computer as an external drive or insert your microSD card into a reader and delete directly. If you try deleting it via the onscreen commands it WILL return the next time you power on your KT. This is because the KT for one reason or another has been designed unable to delete from the SD card directly. Maybe that will be fixed in a future firmware but as a result may create the situation you find yourself in now. One possible fix outside of resetting your device may be to reinstall the ebook you deleted into the same area it was in previously, allow it to reprocess it, and then go delete it again via connection to a computer.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote