Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Best films of 2011 so far

I actually haven't seen that many films yet but here is my list so far. Let me know which movies you have liked.

Submarine
Drive
50/50
Thor
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't gone to theaters much this year. I think we went and saw Gnomeo & Juliet (which was saved by Patrick Stewart as Shakespeare), Cars 2 (kid loved it), and Thor (was pretty fun).

Out of those, I'd have to say that Thor was the best (to me). But, I can't say that it had much competition based on the ones I've seen this year.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
My wife and I liked Green Lantern, but I don't think we've been out to see any others this year.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Source Code was really good, I think I'd go with that as the best Movie that I've seen this year that came out this year.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I'm seeing Drive next week so I'm glad you liked it It seems to get very mixed reactions. I see a lot of films but I often forget which was this year and which was last. My favourite recent one was probably Midnight in Paris, also good was Crazy Stupid Love and Jane Eyre. I'll probably post back when I remember the ones I saw early in the year
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Source Code was a favorite of mine. I also thought The Help was good.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
And if we are doing movies that came to DVD this year The Next Three Days was good.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Sucker Punch.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Source Code
Red Riding Hood
Thor
Johnny English Reborn
Jane Eyre
In Time
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw Win Win just now. I thought it was a good film (3.5 out of 5 stars), although I think most people would find it slow and somewhat dull--depending on personal taste.

I saw Source Code also and thought it was very entertaining. People here seem to like Jane Eyre but I didn't like that film.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Source Code was really good, I think I'd go with that as the best Movie that I've seen this year that came out this year.
I'll vouch for Source Code. Of the movies currently in theater, the only one I've seen is In Time. A brilliant idea with so-so execution.

In Time's use of your life's time as currency -- coupled with the injustices of its economic system -- make the movie topical to real-world events. I mean, it's an obvious metaphor for issues in today's news.

The movie is a fun mashup of Bonnie & Clyde, Logan's Run, & Robin Hood. Set in a dystopian future worthy of Phillip K. Dick. The film's not great, and it's far from bad. It's an adventure that makes you mostly forget the real world (while you're watching it) but also makes you think about it.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Tree of Life (it grew on me, and it's Terrence Malick's best film to date, IMHO)

Fast Five (yeah, it's dumb, but it's also fun as hell, especially if you saw it in a packed house with friends)

Thought Source Code was overrated and nowhere near as good as the director's debut, Moon, or other sci-fi films with a similar time/multiverse plot.

Drive was also really good until the ending. (Unfortunately, it's currently being sued by a moviegoer for its being advertised as a "Fast Five"-style action movie...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
ve to say that Thor was the best (to me). But, I can't say that it had much competition based on the ones I've seen this year.
Captain America was pretty fun, too. What did you think of that Marvel movie? There were moments where it felt like a good old-fashioned serial.

Last edited by Joonbug1; 11-06-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonbug1 View Post
The Tree of Life (it grew on me, and it's Terrence Malick's best film to date, IMHO)

Fast Five (yeah, it's dumb, but it's also fun as hell, especially if you saw it in a packed house with friends)

Thought Source Code was overrated and nowhere near as good as the director's debut, Moon, or other sci-fi films with a similar time/multiverse plot.

Drive was also really good until the ending. (Unfortunately, it's currently being sued by a moviegoer for its being advertised as a "Fast Five"-style action movie...)

Captain America was pretty fun, too. What did you think of that Marvel movie? There were moments where it felt like a good old-fashioned serial.
I wasn't moved by Tree of Life. It mostly just bored and irritated me.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Yeah, Source Code... And Winnie the Pooh!

Has anyone seen Real Steel? I heard people say it is good
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonbug1 View Post
Oh, I had all but forgotten about Captain America! We had a lot of fun with that one, too (went and saw it with some fellow nerds). Even though Thor's "fish-out-of-water-moments" had me laughing heartily...I think I enjoyed Caps a bit more.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote