Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best formats?

Hi there,

I am planning to start selling my long awaited (or so I hope...) ebook.
It is made primarily of text, some lists (numbered and unnumbered), a couple of tables and a few text-boxes.

Which formats would you say are most common? I have been reading a few threads on the subject, but they are pretty old.

For now I have selected epub and azw3, along with the ever popular pdf.

I have tried to covert into mobi as well, but the layout gets messed up and cannot be bothered to investigate why (especially because editing a mobi book is not straightforward on calibre)

I think that should be plenty choice... What would you say?

Thanks in advance.
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Most people that I have seen offer AZW3 (which will cover those who use Amazon's Kindle products) and Epub (which will cover pretty much the rest of your potential customers). I would recommend holding off on the PDF format since it can be read by both amazon's readers and the rest of the ereaders and in my mind its redundant. I would also recommend including a statement in the section of the web site that sells the books that you will provide additional formats upon request.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Most people that I have seen offer AZW3 (which will cover those who use Amazon's Kindle products) and Epub (which will cover pretty much the rest of your potential customers). I would recommend holding off on the PDF format since it can be read by both amazon's readers and the rest of the ereaders and in my mind its redundant. I would also recommend including a statement in the section of the web site that sells the books that you will provide additional formats upon request.
Thanks for that. So we think along the same lines.

The only problem I have with offering alternative formats is what if, like with the mobi I have just tried, the format comes out messed up... Would it be like shooting myself in the foot or creating unnecessary problems for myself?
I read that problems with mobi files are pretty common, but I wonder if other formats may have issues as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I think that the distributor will tell you what format you should use and which DRM you have to use.
If you don't have a distributor, you may have a problem, as you have to pay yourself the licence fees for DRM (if required in your particular case), and find a place where to store your book to be accessible from the eReaders (those with access to libraries and shops).
A hot issue is the embedding of fonts should you need to do this, because your project is commercial and many otherwise free fonts might require a licence fee.
Not easy, but if you'd go the other way, non-DRM, you may not have customers
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Why are you saying I should go down the DRM route? I always thought that was the one thing to avoid like the plague...
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Not easy, but if you'd go the other way, non-DRM, you may not have customers
This statement makes no sense to me what so ever. Can you elaborate?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This statement makes no sense to me what so ever. Can you elaborate?
Why would one buy something he can obtain for free? To prevent the illegal distribution DRM was invented.

Well, I know that DRM is there to be bypassed, but it may still be an issue with many people.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
Why are you saying I should go down the DRM route? I always thought that was the one thing to avoid like the plague...
I also hate DRM. But I have to admit that DRM ensures at least partially a certain surety for non distribution via torrents and the like. The problem with DRM is that it doesn't satisfy nobody, neither the owner, nor the customer.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Arkadian
Connoisseur

In all honesty, I don't think my readership would care one way or another. Indeed, I doubt they know what DRM is
I myself would be very weary of buying something WITH DRM, unless I hear I can remove the protection.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Why would one buy something he can obtain for free?
Er, because some of us are honest and think it's wrong to steal stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Why would one buy something he can obtain for free?
Because they're honest and believe people should be paid for their work?

Quote:
To prevent the illegal distribution DRM was invented.
Well, that's one reason.

Quote:
Well, I know that DRM is there to be bypassed, but it may still be an issue with many people.

Publishers who have gone DRM-free, notably Tor, have noted no decrease in sales since dropping DRM. DRM does absolutely nothing to stop a book from being pirated on torrents & other venues, but there is a vocal minority who won't buy any books ith DRM. The only kind of sharing DRM is semi effective in stopping is casual sharing (such as a friend passing a book to another friend).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think you should provide .mobi because older Kindles are unable to read .azw3 format. And there are still millions of older Kindles in use.

What did you mean by text boxes? Traditionally, that would mean something like <input type="text" size="30" name="box1">, but I don't know how that could work, since it would require a form with action to a URL, and I don't think that would work well.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PDF has the advantage of being readily processed by most OS provided content indexers. possibly largely irrelevant for fiction, but not for reference, biographies etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
But to be processed for search, it has to be more than just a collection of pictures of pages, as some are. The Air Force History web site's books are like this.

PDF is displayed by almost everything, but they are not sold by the big booksellers. They also need to be published to a smaller size paper to appear reasonably readable on smaller devices.

Being able to be read on everything occupies Hitch's attention full time and overtime, as an e book maker.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mrmikel - I was speaking specifically to Arkadian's book:

Quote:
"It is made primarily of text, some lists (numbered and unnumbered), a couple of tables and a few text-boxes."
But I do take your point.

My 'point' that textual PDF's are near universally content indexable would be moot if the common flowable formats were similarly so.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote