Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
siebert
Developer
siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) 3G / iPad 9 WiFi / Google Pixel 6a (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
If I understand your solution, the tag tells you that Calibre made the MOBI format, just not what original was used as the source. For books with only a single original format, you'd know the source.
That's correct. Of course it would be perfect to even know at what date a conversion with which version of calibre was done and which file was the source, but I think my proposed scheme would already help a lot.

Quote:
Do you write the "Converted EPUB" tag for an original EPUB format if you do an EPUB->EPUB conversion?
Yes, as after the conversion the original is lost and the new EPUB file was created by calibre, it must also be tagged.

Quote:
I decided I'd just keep my originals entirely outside of Calibre, so I've mostly avoided this issue.
For now it's probably the safest thing to do, but I'm afraid a lot of users aren't that careful and as calibre already maintains almost all the necessary data (except for the conversion source) in the files metadata (at least for mobi and epub files), it's a pity that the information is not available for the calibre user.

Ciao,
Steffen
siebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by siebert View Post
it's a pity that the information is not available for the calibre user.
I suppose it's a useful bit of information, but it's not one I feel very strongly about. If my book format has a problem, I fix it. If I need another format, I create it. I don't care very much about whether the chicken or the egg was first, as long as the omelet is good to eat
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
siebert
Developer
siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
If my book format has a problem, I fix it. If I need another format, I create it. I don't care very much about whether the chicken or the egg was first, as long as the omelet is good to eat
But as conversions aren't lossless and software contains bugs, it's always good to have the original file around in case something went wrong or a new calibre version brings better conversion routines.

Ciao,
Steffen
Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by siebert View Post
But as conversions aren't lossless and software contains bugs, it's always good to have the original file around in case something went wrong or a new calibre version brings better conversion routines.
Yes, and that's why I keep originals. That's pretty good practice for everything, not just ebooks. I've fixed the sound in mp3s, downrezzed movies to play on my handheld PDA, cropped vacation photos, etc., and in each case, I keep originals completely separate from my "improved" versions.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #20
siebert
Developer

Patch available

Hi,

I've just created a thread containing the patch which implements my concept described above: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=1

Ciao,
Steffen