Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Droid X lockdown

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/d...at-i-know.html

if you were considering this piece of hardware, you might want to re-consider if you like to hack your devices.. hardware lockdown, ouch!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Motorola actually had an honest response:
http://community.developer.motorola....32title=Custom

Quote:
We understand there is a community of developers interested in going beyond Android application development and experimenting with Android system development and re-flashing phones. For these developers, we highly recommend obtaining either a Google ADP1 developer phone or a Nexus One, both of which are intended for these purposes. At this time, Motorola Android-based handsets are intended for use by consumers and Android application developers, and we have currently chosen not to go into the business of providing fully unlocked developer phones.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Such actions by Motorola seem especially dumb since the Droid X (and its future GSM variant) would be exactly the kind of hardware that appeals to hackers and tinkerers. What a waste! Worse than Apple. Sony Ericcson did the same "I-will-just-shoot-myself-in-the-foot" with the beautiful hardware of the X10. Well, Samsung and HTC will pick up the slack. And I might just get that Dell Streak, after all.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-15-2010 at 08:51 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
regardless of what kind of end-user i am, the last thing i want is a self-destructing device. with almost 40 years in the IT industry i know all too well how our pal murphy strikes when you least expect it. a glitch out somewhere causing you to power cycle your phone and then it mistakenly locks itself up? a manufacturer update that bricks your phone? even worse, a hacker with a virus that extorts money out of you to keep your phone from bricking and you losing data? there are all too many ways this is not good for the consumer all for what? so motorola can insure that you see their android skin and can't replace their installed apps? no thanks.

i sure hope this doesn't become a trend.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
regardless of what kind of end-user i am, the last thing i want is a self-destructing device. with almost 40 years in the IT industry i know all too well how our pal murphy strikes when you least expect it. a glitch out somewhere causing you to power cycle your phone and then it mistakenly locks itself up? a manufacturer update that bricks your phone? even worse, a hacker with a virus that extorts money out of you to keep your phone from bricking and you losing data? there are all too many ways this is not good for the consumer all for what? so motorola can insure that you see their android skin and can't replace their installed apps? no thanks.

i sure hope this doesn't become a trend.
My only hope is that every blogger and every journalist will pounce on this every day until Motorola's sales slow to trickle, their stock goes to 50 cents and their CEO gets the boot. Things should get so bad that no one never, ever will consider doing something so evil again.
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Yep, dumb move from Motorola. Good luck for the Samsung Galaxy S and its carrier variants.

I actually think Motorola has lost its way and makes ugly phones nowadays, so I wasn't even tempted.

On the other hand, it does Flash....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a Droid - haven't flashed it but that's my choice.

My take is simple - they don't need to prevent people from flashing their phones - but they have every right to refuse to service and support phones that have been flashed.

Sounds fair to me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
As a Moto stock owner, I am VERY disappointed. Moto had a chance to compete with excellent phones like the EVO and Samsung, and instead they shoot themselves in the foot. I wonder if HP wants to buy yet another hardware manufacturer.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
As a Moto stock owner, I am VERY disappointed. Moto had a chance to compete with excellent phones like the EVO and Samsung, and instead they shoot themselves in the foot. I wonder if HP wants to buy yet another hardware manufacturer.
Moto stock owner? You poor baby!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Moto stock owner? You poor baby!
Yes, it was an accident. Moto bought a company that I had stock in, and converted my stock. They were doing well at the time, so I just kept it. Actually, it hasn't been bad until recently. It was up nearly 50% for a while. It lost all of that and is now down about 9%. I keep hoping!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote