Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #211
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan2 View Post
Maybe we should start a new thread with requested improvements for a future update? Beyond the need for easier to read links and Table of Contents list, the font size when clicking Read More in the store when reading the description of a book is really tiny, smaller than the font on the prior page where the description starts. Where's my magnifying glass, lol?
I would strongly support having a new thread with requested improvements.

If possible, it would be nice to have a "poll" where anyone can add a new item, and everyone can vote on how important that feature is to them.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #212
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I do not understand the uproar to begin with over the 1GB partition. 1GB can hold more nooks than one can read in a lifetime
I would agree disagree with you for most people who read more than a book or two per month. For myself, I have a fair number of large ebooks which, as mentioned earlier, would allow me to exceed the 930MB user space with 6 books. Even if I go to more reasonably sized books, I would have fewer than 700 books. With my average number of books per year, that limits my lifetime to <3 years without even considering that I also carry quite a few reference ebooks which tend to be fairly large and not books that I read but rather refer to -- I doubt that many people would read a Cisco command line reference text for entertainment.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #213
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
It would be a serious breach of software configuration management to have different versions of the software with the same number.
In one beta program I participated in a few years back, you had to use the build number to separate the last release candidate from the final release. When I asked about this, the explanation was the beta was built with full debug support while the final release was built with limited debug support.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #214
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I do not understand the uproar to begin with over the 1GB partition. 1GB can hold more nooks than one can read in a lifetime
It was several factors:
  • Nook had a history of limiting space for sideloading, something Amazon and Kobo don't do
  • They finally did away with that with the previous model: Glowlight Plus
  • Glowlight 3 advertised the 8GB of storage, all available to the user. Even their employees were confirming this after the device went on sale
  • 1GB is significantly less than the competition offers
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #215
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I picked some random eBooks that totaled up to 1GB and no, 1GB is not more than one can read in a lifetime.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #216
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I by 'one' you mean 'you', then you may be correct. If by 'one' you mean 'anyone', you are sooooooooo wrong.

Through High School and College I was reading a book/day, and I would have used up that GB a long time before graduation.

I have a job now, but I still manage to read a couple of books/week.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #217
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Well dagfuddlenabbit, for the third time, I opened the Nook and it's forgotten all my sideloaded books. I suspect it happened because I was out of wifi range. The past couple of times, if I waited 24 hours, the missing books came back.

Now they're all there on the Nook, when it's mounted on the desktop as a USB device I can see all the books, each in an individual folder.

But again, the Nook operating system can't see them.

And what's with this "send feedback" link that opens to say the device is "not configured to send email" --- does their OS install stuff it can't use??

This is really infuriating.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #218
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Well dagfuddlenabbit, for the third time, I opened the Nook and it's forgotten all my sideloaded books. I suspect it happened because I was out of wifi range. The past couple of times, if I waited 24 hours, the missing books came back.

Now they're all there on the Nook, when it's mounted on the desktop as a USB device I can see all the books, each in an individual folder.

But again, the Nook operating system can't see them.

And what's with this "send feedback" link that opens to say the device is "not configured to send email" --- does their OS install stuff it can't use??

This is really infuriating.
Turn wifi off and never turn it back on, side-load every book including the one purchased from B&N.

I bet you have the problem after downloading from B&N.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #219
hank
Dinosaur

Nope, I have never had the problem after downloading from BN, which I"ve only done once. But I do notice at times the Nook becomes excruciatingly slow and have wondered if that's something happening via wifi. So I will try turning wifi off. As I remember it will start nagging me about that but so it goes.

But -- Aha! -- I mounted the Nook on the Mac desktop and ran Disk First Aid, and the problem went away. So I'm guessing the Nook just gets its shoelaces tied together and falls over from time to time.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #220
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Nope, I have never had the problem after downloading from BN, which I"ve only done once. But I do notice at times the Nook becomes excruciatingly slow and have wondered if that's something happening via wifi. So I will try turning wifi off. As I remember it will start nagging me about that but so it goes.

But -- Aha! -- I mounted the Nook on the Mac desktop and ran Disk First Aid, and the problem went away. So I'm guessing the Nook just gets its shoelaces tied together and falls over from time to time.
I have over 1500 ebooks on my nook STR with glowlight--on the sd card--it seems about every couple years I have do a factory reset and format the sd card using the nook's formatter. Just remember when you unmount the nook it is SLOW, wait a couple of minutes before unplugging it from the usb cable.

My best practises--with the nook STR and STR with glowlight is:
  • Before plugging the usb cable put it to sleep.
  • Plug it in let calibre detect and read the device metadata.
  • Sen new books to the nook.
  • Eject the nook, wait a minute or two after calibre say safe to unplug.
  • Unplug the nook.
  • Wake it up go to library--Do not open a book until all the new books show in library.

YMMV

bernie.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #221
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I will try turning wifi off. As I remember it will start nagging me about that but so it goes.
Yeah. I HATE that! B&N needs to learn to leave the user alone.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #222
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I have over 1500 ebooks on my nook STR with glowlight--on the sd card--
I started with a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I've fairly recently picked up a Glowlight 3 and a Glowlight Plus and the newer software seems like a big step down from what the Nook ST was running.

Now, in between, I used a Kobo Aura for years, so I suppose it is possible that I'm viewing my first Nook with rose-colored glasses. But I don't remember the ST being so slow or having issues with sideloaded books.

(in Nook STR... what's the R stand for?)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #223
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
(in Nook STR... what's the R stand for?)
I'm guessing "Reader."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #224
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing "Reader."
Whether it's true or not, I like it!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #225
hank
Dinosaur

> Before plugging the usb cable put it to sleep.
> Plug it in let calibre detect and read the device metadata.....

I assume you mean put the Nook to sleep first.
You don't mention waking the Nook up. I assume you do that once the USB cable is plugged in, and cick the button on the Nook to connect the USB -- right?

I'm using a Mac, and sometimes I find it helps to put the Mac to sleep and wake it -- or shut it down and restart it -- while the Nook is connected.