Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
aerondightx
aerondightx began at the beginning.

Device: non-digital-peasant
Exclamation Conversion gone wrong. CSS surgery needed.

Hello there,

Recently I've bought a book in Japanese on Amazon for my friend who loves those eastern vibes and now I struggle with printing this.

The original sample is visible in attachement no. 1 (original.jpg).
Character in bold is the title of the chapter. You can also see that the text direction is top to bottom, right to left. Those small characters are called furigana and they are incorporated into the main text when converted to doc which is bad but I'll mention it later.

Version with lifted DRM is shown in attachement no. 2.
Text direction changed to left to right, top to bottom and whole page is flipped. In addition I can navigate through the pages only when holding mouse wheel and only in lateral direction, simple scrolling switches me between chapters.

The third attachement is css file from book analysis in Calibre editor.
https://pastebin.com/izFYkuWW
The debugger greeted me with numerous 'unknow property names' and each page seems to be linked with 'stylehorizontal.css' which in fact doesn't exist.

To conclude:
While the changed text direction isn't exactly the problem since as far as I know Japanese can be read in any direction, the flipped page is. It ruins my further attempts of conversion to pdf (two pages of each chapter gets smashed together and the rest is lost) . Is there any way of repairing this by .css interference? Also, is there any way of printing this book without converting to pdf (which from what I heard can be troublesome)? Conversion to doc also seems fallible since all furigana is mixed with the main text.
Another problem is readability...

All thoughts and ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	160382   Click image for larger version

Name:	drm-free.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	160383  
aerondightx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are going to have a tough time with that. Vertical text is not really supported by the conversion subsytem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
edit book, japanese author ebook, japanese characters