Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: e-ink screen failed,lifetime=???
screen failed,lifetime<1year(<720hrs,if read 2hrs/day ) 1 5.88%
screen failed,lifetime<1.5years(<1080hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<2years(<1440hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<2.5years(<1800hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<3years(<2160hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<3.5years(<2520hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<4years(<2880hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<4.5years(<3240hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<5years(<3600hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<5.5years(<3960hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<6years(<4320hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<6.5years(<4680hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<7years(<5040hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<7.5years(<5400hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<8years(<5760hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<8.5years(<6120hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<9years(<6480hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<9.5years(<6840hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<10years(<7200hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime>10years(>7200hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 3 17.65%
else 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
digitalnut
digitalnut began at the beginning.

Device: none
lifetime of Kindle screen(e-ink display)

Any idea of the expected lifetime of Kindle screen (e-ink display)?

Eink.com says “Over 90% of E Ink screen displays will last more than 10 years with typical usage”, but Amazon says that the average life of the device is estimated to be 3 years.

One guy says ”I wouldn't expect e-ink screens to last forever but I would have hoped to get more than 18 months out of one……Spoke to Amazon and they wouldn't give me a free replacement as it was 18 months old and out of warranty but they offered me for £50. Better than nothing I suppose.”

Another guy says” I'm on my 3rd kindle due to this issue. Both of my first 2 had this same issue with the screen. I had my first one replaced FOC as it was in warranty. The 2nd one was out of warranty. I have no idea why both of them failed. But if this 3rd one goes the same way, i won't buy another one.”

I've not seen any reports of lifetime of e-ink screen display.......

Occasionally, I get some authoritative data of reliability test (e-ink 9.7inch screen):
High-Temperature Operation; temperature+50°C, Relative humidity 30% for 240 hrs; Electric,mechanical, and optical specifications shall be satisfied.

Low-Temperature Operation; temperature 0°C , for 240 hrs ; Electric,mechanical, and optical specifications shall be satisfied.

High-Temperature Storage; temperature +70°C , Relative humidity23% for 240 hrs; Electric,mechanical, and optical specifications shall be satisfied.

Low-Temperature Storage; temperature -25°C , for 240 hrs; Electric,mechanical, and optical specifications shall be satisfied.

Stylus Tapping; POLYACETAL Pen: Top radius: 0.8mm 300grams-force Speed:2times/sec Total 13,500times; no glass breakage or damage to microcapsules.

Obviously, the criteria of passing reliability test are very low, and if you click on the screen 100times/day, the lifetime of this e-ink 9.7inch screen is a little longer than 135 days.
Who can tell me the truth? thanks
digitalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Most of screen issues are caused by mechanical damage. If you don't use Kindle in some extreme temperatures don't worry about screen lifespan.

Screens used in Kindle 1 (10 years old) are still working correctly.

Also use default font size in your posts.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-26-2017 at 05:39 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnut View Post
Eink.com says “Over 90% of E Ink screen displays will last more than 10 years with typical usage”, but Amazon says that the average life of the device is estimated to be 3 years.
Battery life, rather than screen life, is the limiting factor for readers. Where do Amazon say that the average lifetime is three years?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You need more choices on your poll. And more than one duplicate.

I expect mine to last more than 20 years. Unfortunately, I may not last more than 20 years.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have several Kindles,including K2, K3 and K4, and I've never had any kind of screen failure.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My 2nd gen Kindle is still perfect as far as the screen. We’ve only had one spontaneous screen failure, and that was the first Paperwhite Amazon released. The device was a little over 3 years old at the time. I had given it to a friend of mine, so don’t know is pressure or torque was involved.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the original KB kindle and it still works.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
Never had a screen failure, and we have K2, KK, KB, KP 1, 2, 3, KDXG, KV, KOA2.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My first kindle I bought in 2008. The K1. Its screen is still as it was on the first day. Of course, I don't use it anymore now, other than charging it like once a month so I can stare at the shiny bar in awe. But when I did use it, I read about 450 books on that thing until I got the Keyboard in 2010. So it was used heavily. I also still have the keyboard, I have a basic button, a voyage a old oasis and they all still work fine.
But I have also never dropped a kindle, sat on it or stuffed them into a rucksack with other stuff next to.
If they go into a bag, they are covered and carefully placed there with no other bumps or sharp edges around them. I guess I treat them like they were made of thin glass.

I expect the batteries to go down long before the screen. My K1 is one a replacement battery as it was the only one were I could do that. But it does show its age in other parts now. The sticky wheel, the 3G is wonky, etc.
My keyboard is now 7 years old and it still holds a charge, although since I don't use it to read, I can't say how long it would last, but now it still lasts for weeks until I charge it again. Same with my basic button which is I think 5 years old.

They all last long past the time before I see another new shiny thing on the horizon.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Never had a screen failure and have kindles starting with the K1.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Still going strong after 6 years.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I’ve had several e-ink devices going back to the Sony 505 and have never had a screen failure (looking around for some wood to knock on)...
As HarryT said—it’s batteries that will fail first. I still have my 505 and charge every so often. Battery only lasts about 1-2 hours on a charge now. Both my Sony 350 and 650 show signs of battery degradation, but I can still get a decent amount of hours out of them—probably 4-6.
I gave my Kindle Paperwhite to a friend after a three or four years of use and it is still going strong for her.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I only had screen failure from actual damage, not from use. Battery and on/off button so far are the only failures from use.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #14
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, K3, Voyage, Oasis 3
I have K2, K3, PW1, KV, and PW3 and I've never had any kind of screen failure.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You need more choices on your poll. And more than one duplicate.

I expect mine to last more than 20 years. Unfortunately, I may not last more than 20 years.
I'm not going ANYWHERE! Death is just giving in to peer pressure!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote