Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
Is it possible for Calibre on one PC to read from the library on another?

Here's the situation: At home I have an htpc/server box that I use for all my media, that I share with my family (who do not all live in the same place). I want to have a Calibre library on this box, and through the Content Server be able to link "client" Calibres (ie mine and my families PCs) to it.

Essentially what I'm trying to accomplish is to circumvent the web UI, and have client Calibres actually hook into the "host" calibre library, and have the whole thing populate inside the client libraries inside their copy of Calibre.

Is this even possible? I've been searching all day and I haven't been able to find anything relating to this.

Thanks!
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuram View Post
Here's the situation: At home I have an htpc/server box that I use for all my media, that I share with my family (who do not all live in the same place). I want to have a Calibre library on this box, and through the Content Server be able to link "client" Calibres (ie mine and my families PCs) to it.

Essentially what I'm trying to accomplish is to circumvent the web UI, and have client Calibres actually hook into the "host" calibre library, and have the whole thing populate inside the client libraries inside their copy of Calibre.

Is this even possible? I've been searching all day and I haven't been able to find anything relating to this.

Thanks!
No! The content server is the only safe way.

Content server does not really have Calibre Clients.
It has WEB browser clients (read only) as you noted. Almost any browser on any device(even phones) can be used.

Once they 'save' the book to the local disk, they could add it to their Local Calibre.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or use dropbox to sync the library between multiple PCs. Be very careful you finish syncing from each computer before and after opening calibre, though, or you could end up having file conflicts.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
Thanks guys/girls.

Is there then a way to download the whole library at once?
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sync/copy the library folder. There is nothing in the Content server that I know of.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert