Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #226
Admesser
Admesser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
First (title) post of the thread is an index to the subject.
You should not need to read all 15 pages.

You have a Mac, well BSD (a.k.a: Mac) command line experience is pretty much the same as Linux command line experience.
Of course, that statement is only true in general, but probably close enough that you will be able to follow the directions - we are not building OpenOffice here.
Good enough for me.
FYI I'm not opposed to reading 15 pages if it'll help me learn the process... just didn't want to read thru them all only to find out 'D'oh, I'm on a Mac, I can't do it'.

[EDIT: Problem was fixed by re-jailbreaking, and doing the 'remove Custom screensaver' procedure again... Apparently it didn't work the first time. All is good now]
Thanks!

Last edited by Admesser; 05-17-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Admesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #227
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There is a separate build of fastboot for Mac you will want to download. In fact, the Mac was the first platform supported by kindle fastboot, and I think that the binary executable is still available at yifanlu's website (and probably download links in this forum too).

MfgTool is only for windows though, so if you need it, you should run it in an emulator that has USB pass-through support (I use VirtualBox), or it may run in a WinPE boot CD too (I have not tested that).

EDIT: I see that you fixed it. Great!

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #228
belvedere
belvedere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have a Kindle Touch and jailbroke it about 2 weeks ago. It was version 5.0.4 then. A couple days ago I got the warning about turning my WiFi on to update the ads and so I did, and also left it plugged into a charger because the battery was low. A couple hours later I had the "needs service" warning. I'm assuming it attempted to do the update to 5.1.0 and didn't like my modifications, which is only custom fonts. My question is, do I work to recover my KT like it made it to 5.1.0 or recover it as 5.0.4? From what I've read it appears to greatly matter.

edit: Ummmm, this is weird. My Kindle's working fine. I got home late last night so my patience was very little. I couldn't get the device into safeboot doing the magic key thing so really didn't make it too far as I gave up at this point. I've plugged the device into my computer before and it didn't do anything but just now it booted up and everything seems fine.... I have the little document saying my device has been updated and what all the new features are. Thanks... I guess? lol.

Last edited by belvedere; 05-23-2012 at 09:31 PM.
belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #229
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvedere View Post
edit: Ummmm, this is weird. My Kindle's working fine. I got home late last night so my patience was very little. I couldn't get the device into safeboot doing the magic key thing so really didn't make it too far as I gave up at this point. I've plugged the device into my computer before and it didn't do anything but just now it booted up and everything seems fine.... I have the little document saying my device has been updated and what all the new features are. Thanks... I guess? lol.
Others have reported mysterious "self healing" of kindles. The current thoughts are that the kindles update themselves after some time sitting in screensaver mode, which can finish installing an update making it all good again, when it appeared that it was bricked.

EDIT: It has been christened the "updatewait method":
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2090057

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-24-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #230
belalugosimf
belalugosimf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I tried to save the Kindle, but without success.
Ubuntu, Win XP, Win 7, different computers - same result.

Now the only thing I want to try is to restore a "YOUR KINDLE NEEDS REPAIR" screen. I found a way to replace the Kindle (a friend traveling in the U.S.)

How do I restore the original "Repair" screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

Thomas Edison was a great inventor, and his approach involved finding a solution only after many (sometimes hundreds) of failures. That persistence and tenacity is a halmark of all great inventors. Do not even think about "giving up" on your kindle.
@geekmaster -

many thanks for the inspiration and encouragement. Unfortunately, I see that I have to give up. Your review of Edison's work is also inspiring.
I must warn you - try to compare Edison vs. Nikola Tesla.

Tesla - the ultimate geek. (He was born in my country)
so - this is for you geekmaster!

Nikola Tesla - greatest geek who ever lived.
belalugosimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #231
mony
mony began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 3G
i had kindle touch 3G which was bricked , i tried to search internet for method to recovery and found this great site with all data about kindles
i am not linux user i read the threads and followed the instructions to debrick my kindle after several trials i suceeded to log into diags mode in mfgtool on windows and exported kindle drive i tried to put runme. and data.gz files in kindle drives and nothing occured just with beging saying runne.sh is running after about minute nothing and return to error screen or your kindle needs repair screen
i am working to log into fastboot mode with no results fastboot mode not working ever i lost hope to work
is there is any simple steps or way to do that
i am not linux user and most of linux orders i don't know how to do it where to type these orders ,
another question where and how i can write linux order on kindle touch screen where in diag mode
i know that i asked alot but i hope that one help me in steps simplified to debrick my kindle
lastly sorry for my english
mony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #232
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mony View Post
i had kindle touch 3G which was bricked , i tried to search internet for method to recovery and found this great site with all data about kindles
i am not linux user i read the threads and followed the instructions to debrick my kindle after several trials i suceeded to log into diags mode in mfgtool on windows and exported kindle drive i tried to put runme. and data.gz files in kindle drives and nothing occured just with beging saying runne.sh is running after about minute nothing and return to error screen or your kindle needs repair screen
i am working to log into fastboot mode with no results fastboot mode not working ever i lost hope to work
is there is any simple steps or way to do that
i am not linux user and most of linux orders i don't know how to do it where to type these orders ,
another question where and how i can write linux order on kindle touch screen where in diag mode
i know that i asked alot but i hope that one help me in steps simplified to debrick my kindle
lastly sorry for my english
That RUNME.sh does nothing except to display a message showing that the data.tar.gz was successfully installed.

Now you do not need to use data.tar.gz again. You can replace the RUNME.sh script with one of the many that do what you want. You need to delete the RUNME.done file to run another RUNME.sh script next time you reboot.

You need to reset the boot counter or erase the /var/local partition as describe in this thread, to get rid of the "your kindle needs repair" screen.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #233
mony

Quote:
That RUNME.sh does nothing except to display a message showing that the data.tar.gz was successfully installed.

Now you do not need to use data.tar.gz again. You can replace the RUNME.sh script with one of the many that do what you want. You need to delete the RUNME.done file to run another RUNME.sh script next time you reboot.

You need to reset the boot counter or erase the /var/local partition as describe in this thread, to get rid of the "your kindle needs repair" screen.
how can i erase /var/local partition or reset the boot counter i didn't found any of these patition when iam in diags usb mode
Old 05-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #234
mony

u don't said how to put my kindle in fastboot mode
i d'like to know it will run or not i tried for 5 days with no reseults
can i debrick it only by runme.sh ? i tried some orders in runne.sh nothing done
does i need to erase all data in runme.sh before adding order or just add order to orginal runme.sh without changing any thing in it
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #235
geekmaster

Quote:
u don't said how to put my kindle in fastboot mode
i d'like to know it will run or not i tried for 5 days with no reseults
can i debrick it only by runme.sh ? i tried some orders in runne.sh nothing done
does i need to erase all data in runme.sh before adding order or just add order to orginal runme.sh without changing any thing in it
Read the first post in the "Select Boot" thread, which is in the list of links in the first post of this thread. You can get to fastboot mode either with MfgTool, or with the fastboot option in the diags exit menu.

You can reset the boot counter with a RUNME.sh that is in one of posts, or you can use fastboot to flash a diags partititon with SSH and then type the posted commands from an SSH command prompt.

If you cannot find these posts (amongst the thousands of posts in this forum), perhaps somebody will post some links here for you. Does anybody have some time to do this? But everything you need SHOULD be in the first post, or the posts that it links to.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #236
mony

Quote:
Read the first post in the "Select Boot" thread, which is in the list of links in the first post of this thread. You can get to fastboot mode either with MfgTool, or with the fastboot option in the diags exit menu.

i tried exit menu fastboot install many times and nothing is done just after clicking fastboot install in exit menu diags main screen appears again and no loging in fastboot i tried alot and read alot for 5days about installing fatboot and reached nothing u said they are i thread i know and i tried them nothing of them working sorry for that
Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #237
geekmaster

Quote:
i tried exit menu fastboot install many times and nothing is done just after clicking fastboot install in exit menu diags main screen appears again and no loging in fastboot i tried alot and read alot for 5days about installing fatboot and reached nothing u said they are i thread i know and i tried them nothing of them working sorry for that
Fastboot mode does not write to the display. It only changes the USB VID/PID that your host PC would see. When you see the main screen, it might actually be in fastboot mode. Did you try to access it with a fastboot program?
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #238
mony

u said also fastboot tool for linux and i didn't found it ?
is mfgtool can work on linux ?

is there simple steps to use on linux for non linux users that will use linux only for this problem

i buyed linux cd for that and installed ubuntu and connected my kindle to pc and linux couldn't see it
i pressed power and home buttom to get recovery mode in linux nothing occured also and searched for tool like mfg on linux to read and boot my kindle in fastboot mode and iam searching for week for debricking my kindle ( im very sad) 1st time on linux and it is strange and complex system for me and i needs simple steps for debricking my kindle

geekmaster can your steps be more detailed in some steps u dont mentioned or some thing like that for us
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #239
mony

Quote:
Fastboot mode does not write to the display. It only changes the USB VID/PID that your host PC would see. When you see the main screen, it might actually be in fastboot mode. Did you try to access it with a fastboot program?
no change to VID/PID when i did saying please connect device
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #240
geekmaster

You do not need linux. Use fastboot for win32 instead.

Tags
debricking