Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Sony library software

I've just bought a Sony 650, and am still in the process of getting it ready to use.

I've seen some disparaging comments on the forum about the Sony library software, and am not sure whether to go ahead and install it. What do most people do?

If I don't install the Sony software how do I install ebooks on the reader? With my ECO Reader and Cybook Gen3 all I do is download the books to my computer and copy them to a folder on an SD card. Will this work with a Sony?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I've just bought a Sony 650, and am still in the process of getting it ready to use.

I've seen some disparaging comments on the forum about the Sony library software, and am not sure whether to go ahead and install it. What do most people do?

If I don't install the Sony software how do I install ebooks on the reader? With my ECO Reader and Cybook Gen3 all I do is download the books to my computer and copy them to a folder on an SD card. Will this work with a Sony?

Regards, Alex
First of all, it won't hurt to install Sony Reader Library software. ;-)

It all depends on where and how you wish to obtain your ebooks. If you mainly plan to use Sony Reader Store and other ADE-based ebook stores, then Sony Reader Library software is recommended.
If you want to use unprotected ebooks, actually you do not need any software. Just download and drag and drop to your 'Reader' drive.
If you want to create, convert and customize ebooks, Calibre would be a good choice.

In my case, I have installed and am using both Sony Reader Library and Calibre.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You can use the Adobe Digital Editions as well as long as you don't buy from Sony, but from other stores.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both, that's most helpful.

Just to expose my ignorance even more, how does one use the SD card? I'm just not used to connecting the reader to the computer - I'm used to copying from the computer to the SD card using a card reader, and then putting the card back into the reader. Will this still work? I have a lot of ebooks on a card set up in folders and subfolders.

Does the Sony recognise folders?

Regards, Alex
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
I use folders myself on my PRS-600 and I assume it will be similar on the PRS-650 when I get it. However doing this does not organize them into collections on the readers interface. You are still left with the list or thumbnail views sorted by Date, Author or Title. But at least on the PRS-650 you should be able to manage collections on the reader itself. I don't know how this works yet, but I should be able to find out later today when my reader arrives.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Thanks to you both, that's most helpful.

Just to expose my ignorance even more, how does one use the SD card? I'm just not used to connecting the reader to the computer - I'm used to copying from the computer to the SD card using a card reader, and then putting the card back into the reader. Will this still work? I have a lot of ebooks on a card set up in folders and subfolders.

Regards, Alex
I'll provide what help I can based on my experience. As far as loading ebooks on an SD card, rather than doing it directly on the SD card and then inserting the card into my ereader, I insert the card into my ereader and then load the ebooks through the Sony Reader Library (SRL) and Calibre.

As far as loading ebooks on the SD card, I do the following (based on the software):

- SRL: I drag and drop the ebooks on the SD card.

- Calibre: I select the ebooks and send them to the SD card.

As far as I know, the Sony ereaders don't recognize folders. They use collections to organize ebooks and as I've gained experience with collections I've found them a better way to organize ebooks. They function in a similar manner to the genre tag in an MP3 file.

One advantage that collections have over folders is that one ebook can be placed into many collections without the need to duplicate the ebook. As an example, I have a number of ebooks that I've put into two or three different collections but only one copy of the ebook is on my reader.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony Reader Library was rather slow and sucky with the older readers, but they have greatly improved it to work much faster with the new readers (350 and 650). It is the easiest way to get books onto your 650 and into collections.

You can also use calibre, but there is a learning curve.

You can also add books directly to an SD card, but they won't show up in collections. However you can assign the books to collections using the 650 menus.

You can also copy books directly to the 650 from your computer with a USB connection, but they won't show up in collections. However you can assign the books to collections using the 650 menus. To copy directly find the drive for your reader, mine is drive N:, then copy books to the following path:

READER N:/database/media/books/

Last edited by jswinden; 09-22-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks for all your help. I'll have another try at it this morning, and go on from there. It looks as though I need to get out of old habits and adjust to something different.

Regards, Alex