Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My PW2, which currently has 616 items on it, opens books instantly. It takes no time at all. Maybe the number of books you have on your kindle is slowing it down, or it's older and has a slow processor, or whatever. I just touch the book name, and the book is open!

As for where to start looking: I have the books organised into Collections: "Cats and Other Animals" "Classics" "Detective/Mystery/Thriller" "Historical Fiction" "Horror incl Vampire" "Humour" "Island/Summer" "Sci Fi" "Writing" and intend to create more such as one for "Romance".
When looking, I decide what kind of book I'm in the mood for: something cheery? Or dramatic? Then look in Humour or Detective etc. I then choose a book from the Collection.

This is fun. At least with a responsive, fast ereader. With my old Sony prs 505 it was murder because I spent so much time watching a buffering symbol as the book formatted. A modern ereader shouldn't be so slow.
Current Kindles (and Kobos, etc) are pretty fast - for e-ink that is. Compared to OLED/LCD-based devices though, they're still significantly slower. You can't really scroll through pages of listings on an eink reader as fast as you can on a smartphone, tablet or PC.

Also, having to open each book just to read the synopsis takes multiple taps (with accompanying screen refresh delay) and at least on the Kindle, messes up sorting by "Recent". I can skim through ~2-3 book synopsis on Calibre-PHP server in the time it takes me to view and close just one book on the Kindle. Maybe ~5+ synopsis if I'm at the end or middle of the book and would need to first open the TOC to go to the book jacket. I read a lot of in-progress fanfics so this would happen quite often if I didn't use other methods for browsing.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #47
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
It is great to see that Kindle books now tend to come with a synopsis, even if not present in the metadata.
Unfortunately that's not particularly true when you're downloading public domain books from Gutenberg and other public domain sites. Of which the majority of my books are.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Unfortunately that's not particularly true when you're downloading public domain books from Gutenberg and other public domain sites. Of which the majority of my books are.
To be fair, that's not Amazon's fault. And you may well be able to find a free version of the same book on Amazon with a synopsis.

For Gutenberg books, I tend to find a synopsis and add it myself using Calibre.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #49
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To be fair, that's not Amazon's fault. And you may well be able to find a free version of the same book on Amazon with a synopsis.

For Gutenberg books, I tend to find a synopsis and add it myself using Calibre.
Yes, I was just bringing it up because I got the impression that Timboli was going to rely on the amazon synopsis. To really do it right for getting a synopsis I think it would be difficult, sort of like Calibre's metadata downloader but even that can't always find something useful. It's kind of pie in the sky to me.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #50
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I add the synopis to all my books using Calibre which 'finds' them for me. Most downloaded books don't have a decent synopsis, it has to be added.

I have to use Calibre to convert most books to azw3, my prefered format, so I might as well add the synopsis while I'm at it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I was just bringing it up because I got the impression that Timboli was going to rely on the amazon synopsis. To really do it right for getting a synopsis I think it would be difficult, sort of like Calibre's metadata downloader but even that can't always find something useful. It's kind of pie in the sky to me.
For old PD books that you get from Gutenberg or Standardebooks, finding an actual match using Calibre's metadata downloader likely won't happen. But you can still go find a synopsis on Goodreads or Librarything and paste the synopsis in yourself.

Reading this thread, I'm just grad I stuck to Nook and Kobo. It never occurred to me there was an ereader out there that made it difficult to see the synopsis of the books that are stored on it.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #52
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Reading this thread, I'm just grad I stuck to Nook and Kobo.
I have a Kobo and a Kindle and the Kobo is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kindle in usability and for being user friendly. Do companies never look at their competition? Amazon really should look at the Kobo.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a Kobo and a Kindle and the Kobo is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kindle in usability and for being user friendly. Do companies never look at their competition? Amazon really should look at the Kobo.
The primary purpose of Kindles is to sell Kindle ebooks (or get people to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited). If one got all their books from Amazon (as most Kindle owners likely do), they wouldn't really face the issues we have with sideloaded books.

I'm guessing Amazon isn't particularly inclined to make things easy for people who buy most of their books from other vendors.

That said, I had a Kobo (Aura HD) and the reason I even got a Paperwhite 2 was because I found the Aura HD disappointing.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
As Avis used to say “When you’re only No. 2, you try harder.”
Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That said, I had a Kobo (Aura HD) and the reason I even got a Paperwhite 2 was because I found the Aura HD disappointing.
In comparing the Kindle and Kobo, what did you find disappointing?

I far prefer the Kobo way, but perhaps my enthusiasm for the bits I liked have made me myopic.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #56
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
In comparing the Kindle and Kobo, what did you find disappointing?

I far prefer the Kobo way, but perhaps my enthusiasm for the bits I liked have made me myopic.
Specifically with the Aura HD, sharp edges on the chassis made holding it for long periods uncomfortable. Touchscreen was far less responsive (I was using a Sony PRS-350 prior so it's not just because I was used to the responsiveness of LCDs). Due to its size, none of the default tap zones suited me (I needed to change tap zones whenever I switched hands). At that time, we didn't have the easy patching system available now.

I recently unearthed the Aura HD from its resting place inside the tomb of unused electronics and with the page turn patch and I'm liking it better. Alas, touchscreen is noticeably less responsive compare to my Kindles or the Glo HD.

As for Glo HD, it's the chassis as well. I just find curved more comfy to hold than boxy although I did like the soft touch back. However, the thin glossy black framing the e-ink display is distracting as hell (reflections) unless I'm reading in the dark.

I have been tempted to get the Clara HD but despite the addition of some curves, it's still boxier than the PW. Also, I had a tablet with a similar dotted pattern in the back as the Clara and it annoyed me to no end. Hence, I find myself hesitant to buy one sight unseen.

Mind, I think I'd like a Paperwhite 3/4 running Kobo software.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #57
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
The primary purpose of Kindles is to sell Kindle ebooks (or get people to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited). If one got all their books from Amazon (as most Kindle owners likely do), they wouldn't really face the issues we have with sideloaded books.

I'm guessing Amazon isn't particularly inclined to make things easy for people who buy most of their books from other vendors.

Amazon do make it simple to sideload their books by providing a "Transfer Via USB" purchase option, which I use whenever I buy from them.

On the other hand, Kobo offer features not yet used on any kindle ereader, such as blue light reduction and, apparently, showing the synopsis without opening the book (does this only happen if connected to wifi?) Despite my disappointment with the particular Clara HD I bought, and returned, last year, if I were thinking of buying a new reader I would take a close look at the Kobo range. I could still purchase from Amazon and de-drm (or read on my paperwhite).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Amazon do make it simple to sideload their books by providing a "Transfer Via USB" purchase option, which I use whenever I buy from them.

On the other hand, Kobo offer features not yet used on any kindle ereader, such as blue light reduction and, apparently, showing the synopsis without opening the book (does this only happen if connected to wifi?) Despite my disappointment with the particular Clara HD I bought, and returned, last year, if I were thinking of buying a new reader I would take a close look at the Kobo range. I could still purchase from Amazon and de-drm (or read on my paperwhite).
Note, by sideload, I meant books not purchased from Amazon.

Kobo doesn't need wifi to read embedded comments in epub.

I already buy from Kobo to load to my Paperwhite. I actually like Kindle hardware. Well, the Paperwhite line at least. I find it to be a good compromise between price and features particularly when it's on sale.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Specifically with the Aura HD, sharp edges on the chassis made holding it for long periods uncomfortable...

Mind, I think I'd like a Paperwhite 3/4 running Kobo software.
So it's mostly hardware. I have similar feelings comparing Nooks vs Kobos

I haven't used a Glo. My only comparison is the 6" Aura. The Clara is definitely rounder. I stick my readers in a slim case, so the material feel of the back of a reader is ignored by me. From memory, the Clara is definitely more plastic-y than other ereaders I've used, but I did like the feel in my hand the one day I used it without a case.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-13-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
On the other hand, Kobo offer features not yet used on any kindle ereader, such as... showing the synopsis without opening the book (does this only happen if connected to wifi?).
No. I never use the Wifi on any of my readers and only sideload and can see the synopsis for all my books. I can do this on my Nooks and Kobos and have been able to do that since my first reader, a Nook Simple Touch.