Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 01:56 AM   #1
chook13
chook13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Aura H20 2 Screen to dark without backlight

Howdy I just bought a Kobo Aura H20 edition 2.

I bought this e reader to use without a back light but to me the screen seems dull and greyish without it. Is this a regular thing with this model or back lit
e readers in general?

Thanks
chook13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Turn the frontlight on. Adjust the brightness to get the contrast you desire, while keeping it below the level that it looks like it's "glowing". Adjust the colour temperature to whatever feels comfortable to you. The photons will not harm you.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

all eink is dull and greyish - if you compare it to paper

but it's a lot better if you compare it to ancient eink devices ( like pocketbook 360, if you can find one )

you'll wonder how did people ever read on these... answer is simple:

you get used to it and then you stop seeing it

that said the light is there to be used, and it's meant to improve on the "paper white" look that otherwise just isn't there. On my H2O (first gen) I never go higher than 5% and that's enough.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
chook13
chook13 began at the beginning.

Thanks allot. I decided its a keeper and I can live with it. I'm going off line again for a while so it should see allot of use!
chook13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The capacitive touch layer added to the 2nd Generation H20 definitely reduced the light reflected to the screen compared to it's predecessors.. Other models are better, but still not as good ad the earlier IR screens. Price of progress, I'm afraid.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert