Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
ThomasM
ThomasM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Open Books from Cloud with Calibre?

Hey all

I just discovered Calibre as the number of my eBooks is rising with each month. I would like to have some overview, what books I have read, what series I have started and all that.

Now the problem:
With Calibre I can load eBooks from my computer.
But my eBooks are not on my computer, they are on different clouds.
First my Amazon cloud with all books I bought in Kindle format.
Then on a german Weltbild cloud with all the books I bought in ePub format not via Amazon.
And my readers (one for each cloud) can load all the books directly from there.

Now it would be quite cumbersome, to download all the eBooks from the clouds to load them into Calibre.
Can it load it directly from the clouds? Or is there a plug in to do so?

Thanks
ThomasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Download all your books onto your devices, and add the books to calibre from the device storage.

I add all my Amazon books to calibre directly from my Kindle Touch.
Although you *could* use Kindle for PC instead.

Not cumbersome at all.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
ThomasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I add all my Amazon books to calibre directly from my Kindle Touch.
Although you *could* use Kindle for PC instead.
As the books are automatically synchronized between the clouds and my Kindle (amazon) and my Tolino (Weltbild), this is an idea indeed.

Although there are drawbacks to this way.

1.) There is no automatic synchronization between Calibre and the clouds
2.) At least on the tolino the eBooks are deleted after some time. So when you synchronize between Reader and Calibre, Calibre thinks, the books are no longer there.

So a direct link between Calibre and the clouds would be better. This should be possible, as Calibre connects to the internet anyway.
So is there a way?

To use the eBook Reader for eBook management is no option, as the possibilities to edit, search, mark etc the eBooks are very limited.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You want a way for calibre to login to every ereader store out there, parse the list of purchases, index the download links and download your books for you?

Not happening.
Maybe if someone wrote a plugin and was willing to constantly update it as websites get updated. People already have their hands full keeping track of the metadata sources, and those have no alternative.

Automatic synchronization is not on anyone's TODO list.

ebooks are not deleted on the Kindle until you choose to delete them. I don't know why the Tolino would...
Either way, as long as you add them while they are on the device, calibre won't care.
All you need are the new books anyway -- the ones that weren't added to calibre yet.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
ThomasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You want a way for calibre to login to every ereader store out there, parse the list of purchases, index the download links and download your books for you?
Well, I didn't think of every eReader store out there, but only the two, I am using. And it should be clear, that you have to tell Calibre, which store and which login to search.

What is so difficult in choosing a web address instead the name of a book?
It might be difficult, if every store has a separate interface, but if there is a standard API, then it should be possible. In fact, this was part of a question.

That there are workarounds is obvious, but it seems to me, that the answer to my question is simply:
No there is no such plug in
Advert
Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That is correct, there is no standard API.
By default, "things" don't have a standard API.

Standard APIs are created once someone realizes they are needed.
Also it is unlikely any store will have a standard API that helps you avoid going to their website yourself.

Tags
cloud, ebook management strategy