Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
csdaley
csdaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Forma Database Error

Hi,

I am really hoping someone can help me. I have a Kobo Forma. When I first got it I had no problem updating the metadata on it from calibre. Now when I try to I get an error every time.

The error says:
calibre, version 3.42.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 152.
Device firmware version: (4, 14, 12777)

I was going to force it to support new firmware but wondered if anyone knew what was going on. I was hoping a calibre update would fix it but there has been several since I first got this error and it has not.

My Kobo Firmware is the newset update. Kernal version 4.1.15-00280-g3c80cbc

Thanks
csdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Cart ... Horse
Kobo is the horse
Calibre is the Cart
When they change the horse, Calibre developers have to figure out it happened, adjust the supported FW version list (and make other needed changes in rare cases).
The message is mostly a warning that there COULD be changes needed to prevent corruption. Best to check the Kobo forum and see if there is any discussion of that NEW firmware (bugs do happen, but there are a LOT of Kobo users, so issues should be noticed very soon)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
See davidfor's post in this thread (post #3) Last paragraph is your main concern.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319852

He's always very prompt about letting us know if things are okay when a new firmware comes out.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
csdaley
csdaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks. I enabled it and everything seems to be working fine.
csdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The message is mostly a warning that there COULD be changes needed to prevent corruption. Best to check the Kobo forum and see if there is any discussion of that NEW firmware (bugs do happen, but there are a LOT of Kobo users, so issues should be noticed very soon)
Each time a new firmware comes out and we get a bunch of these posts, I try to work out how to change the message to improve it. About the only thing I can come up with is to add a suggestion to check the Kobo forum. But, it is already long and can't think of how to word it. If anyone has a suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

The alternative would be to change the style of the warning completely. Instead of the standard calibre exception error, display a warning message with a button to open the driver configuration so people can fix it. And a link to open the Kobo forum. It could probably change the setting, but, that would probably need another warning - "Are you sure you want to do this?"*

* Voiced in my brain by HAL and I could swear there was a blinking red light.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David,
Can you put a LINK to the Kobo forum in there instead of a lot of words?
Simply: Check <link> for status
Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@davidfor: In all these years I cant recall too many occassions when an update actually made it unsafe to use with calibre. Maybe just default that option to on and popup a warning for each new firmware version, suggesting people upgrade calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@davidfor: In all these years I cant recall too many occassions when an update actually made it unsafe to use with calibre. Maybe just default that option to on and popup a warning for each new firmware version, suggesting people upgrade calibre?
It has been a long time since there was a real issue. And I do keep thinking about whether the warning is serving a real purpose. The problem is going to be if we don't have it, and a big change in the firmware happens, it will cause problems.

Maybe the way to go is a warning popup that can set the ignore option. Actually, I sort of feel like maybe more than one option is needed. They would be along the line of:
- Ignore this time.
- Ignore for this firmware version. Or maybe firmware and calibre versions combination.
- Ignore always.

There would need to be a careful explanation of what is going on. It could have a link to a help or FAQ page to explain the options. Or the Kobo forum to suggest looking for the firmware status. And maybe a strong suggestion to upgrade calibre if there is a new version available.

In one way it feels like overkill. But, it also gives flexibility. Of course, whether it will reduce the number of questions like this thread, I don't know.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Aren't there a whole bunch of people who have over the years turned on this option and forgotten about it? If you do want to implement a different strategy for it, it might be worthwhile using a new option.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

There probably are, and I probably have it set on my work machine as I don't run from source there. In my list of possibilities, the last choice is the basically the current option. But, replacing it with a new option for that choice is probably the right thing. The middle choice (ignore for this firmware) would have to be displayed somehow. I think that would be display the version being ignored plus a reset button. Or something like that.

I'll have to think about it.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I like the options David proposed that are tied to both Calibre and Kobo.
Some folk can't upgrade Calibre (OS age, IT Admin rules on those who use a company computer?).

It is just to easy to forget an OVERRIDE was made 'last year', (guilty ) and plug in a newer Kobo (or any brand that uses same device driver), where it IS an issue.
<bias>I hate 'installer' tampering with settings I have made (silently). If they are needed. MAKE Me do (confirm) it.

I would consider allowing a Calibre version Update, to auto adjust the stored Calibre version in the override, IF there was no known critical Device model Driver change needed to avoid NAGs

I think it would just be easier on Kovid and crew, if the message popped similar to the original. (if there is a decision needed)
"<device>" FW update detected. Do you still wish to: <pre-select the previous response) settings

My 2 cents
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
My two cents: Please, don't do I have to press a button every time calibre or FW version changes.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
My two cents: Please, don't do I have to press a button every time calibre or FW version changes.
OK

A choice (tick): Ask me every time.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm still not sure what I will do. But, my intention is that something like the current option will still be there. I don't have any intention to do anything visible when calibre changes, but, if I do a "ignore for current firmware version", there is something that might get cleared when the version of calibre that supports the firmware version gets used.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm still not sure what I will do. But, my intention is that something like the current option will still be there. I don't have any intention to do anything visible when calibre changes, but, if I do a "ignore for current firmware version", there is something that might get cleared when the version of calibre that supports the firmware version gets used.
That sounds sensible, I think. Ask for confirmation when a firmware version is encountered the current calibre doesn't recognize, and reset the option (when set) when the current version of calibre does support the firmware version seen.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote