Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Samsung E60 on UK High Streets

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/08/2...e_book_reader/

Saw a endcap for this yesterday, in the same display case as two Sony models, although they had no samples to play with.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"Up to 20 Hours Reading Time"

WTF? That's miserable.

At £200 it's going to be a tough sell, even with a touchscreen.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
Ah ha! Does this mean there is a chance Samsung could do a deal with WHSmith? At last, a way to purchase books for the sne-60!!!

Yay!
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
"Up to 20 Hours Reading Time"

WTF? That's miserable.

At £200 it's going to be a tough sell, even with a touchscreen.

£200 = 245 €

Well, Samsung's selling it at... 329 € in Italy, you know...
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
bazu
bazu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

Well, Samsung's selling it at... 329 € in Italy, you know...
Not now! At Mediaworld/Saturn in Italy you can find it at 279€
bazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Jesus Christ, check out the page turn buttons.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_blackfang View Post
Jesus Christ, check out the page turn buttons.
What about them? They are very similar in shape to those of the CyBook Opus, which work extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
singingbird
Enthusiast

Yes, I have to say that I have had this unit since June, and the pages turn quite nicely...I have no problems using any of the buttons, sliders, stylus...I just want to get some modern content off of WHS e-book site!:rolleyes

I spoke to a salesperson the other day, who says just to follow the instructions on the web page...

...hmmm
Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingbird View Post
Yes, I have to say that I have had this unit since June, and the pages turn quite nicely...I have no problems using any of the buttons, sliders, stylus...I just want to get some modern content off of WHS e-book site!:rolleyes

I spoke to a salesperson the other day, who says just to follow the instructions on the web page...

...hmmm
If you're having problems buying ePub books, just ask here for help. Once you've done it once it's really very easy. The first thing you'll need to do is download and install the ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software from Adobe, and "authorise" both your PC and reading device.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
singingbird
Enthusiast

Yes, in theory, except ADE doesn't seem to recognise the samsung model! I had no dramas using Kobo, everything synching nicely and taking whatever I had stored on my pc...but I was so hoping now that the device is available in the UK that high street shops will make things easier, with perhaps an upgrade from the samsung site...

[...dream on...-ed.]
Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What about them? They are very similar in shape to those of the CyBook Opus, which work extremely well.
There's just one Next button on the thing! Maybe that's just me, but I like to shift my grip a lot and only being able to hold this thing by the lower right corner would drive me nuts.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm not sure how many you'd expect there to be, but most reading device have one "next page" button. But it's all a matter of personal preference, of course.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I like this one: it has a PDA-ish feeling into it, and it keeps the design simple.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
W H Smiths are giving away £80 worth of ebooks with it - not a free choice but 10 pre-selected eBooks which are: Last Train From Liguria by Christine Dwyer Hickery, The Audacity Of Hope by Barack Obama, The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville, Medusa by Michael Dibdin, Jack Maggs by Peter Carey, Do You Think You Are Clever? by John Farendon, Days Of Grace by Catherine Hall, The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande, Do Polar Bears Get Lonely? by Mick O'Hare and Walking Ollie by Stephen Foster.

Not a selection I'd choose and I would probably only read 2 or 3 of them, but better then the usual selection of PD books that come on ereaders.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
It's pricey, but I have to say that it looks pretty snazzy. I'd love to know what dictionaries it has pre-installed.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote