Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Aluratek Libre $120 @ Newegg

Aluratek Libre with free shipping for $120 from Newegg.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Aluratek say they support ePub/PDF with and without DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Aluratek say they support ePub/PDF with and without DRM.
Interesting... can anyone confirm if this will read ePubs from Overdrive libraries?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that here's a post that says the Aluratek "apparently" doesn't support ePub links, it only supports PDF links. This presents a reading problem if the ePub book has a lot of footnotes. Also a problem for readers of Calibre newpapers and magazines, who often want to skip past articles. You're limited to serial paging.

Ectaco jetBooks (same hardware platform) have the same problem, but it's difficult to figure out why hardware would affect linking support. Maybe it's just a coincidence that both firmwares have this weakness? Or something weird about the hardware API?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Interesting... can anyone confirm if this will read ePubs from Overdrive libraries?
Poster PodPeople says Yes it can here and here.
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have one of these - have for 6 months. I haven't tried ePub, but have used PDF. This unit has an LCD screen, but it's better than most LCD. It's not eInk, but remains readable at various angles. It has better navigation from the main menu than the Kindle. The Kindle's 5-way controller is a goofy, awkward item. Page turns on the aluratec are easy.

All in all, for a no-frills, inexspensive reader, the Aluratec is pretty good. I perfer it to the Kobo for sure. And, the small size means that you can actually put it in your pocket. It's very rugged. With the Kindle, it's big and clumsy and prone to breakage.
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Note that here's a post that says the Aluratek "apparently" doesn't support ePub links, it only supports PDF links. This presents a reading problem if the ePub book has a lot of footnotes. Also a problem for readers of Calibre newpapers and magazines, who often want to skip past articles. You're limited to serial paging.

Ectaco jetBooks (same hardware platform) have the same problem, but it's difficult to figure out why hardware would affect linking support. Maybe it's just a coincidence that both firmwares have this weakness? Or something weird about the hardware API?
It's not a hardware issue. It's a software issue. There's no reason why the Alratek cannot follow links in ePub.

What really surprises me is the bugs that get let out into the wild for ePub with ADE. The not following links for the Aluratek/Jetbook and the font sizing issue the Kobo reader has with ePub. These are bugs that should have been caught before the firmware was released.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Note that here's a post that says the Aluratek "apparently" doesn't support ePub links, it only supports PDF links.
The Libre doesn't support any kind of links.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Aluratek Libre vs Cybook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
The Libre doesn't support any kind of links.
Aluratek Libre Pro does not allow use of any table of contents. You can only jump to a specified page number or a bookmark. The CyBook uses TOC, jump to page #, and bookmarks.

While the CyBook screen is light grey and easy on the eyes, the Libre background screen is much darker. It looks more like the color of an old tin can. It has to be held at an angle to maximize contrast between the letters and the background.

The Aluratek Libre has a very limited battery storage capacity and needs to be re-charged much more frequently than a CyBook.

The Aluratek Libre is not able to read any DRM eBooks. It only supports the unencrypted files. "The Libre does not support DRM-restricted eBook formats like MOBI that require a PID." The CyBook can read DRM eBooks.

The Aluratek is less than half the price of a CyBook.
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Borders has the Sony Reader PRS-600 for $199 with free shipping and the covers are $15. So really, this is a good deal. The 600 has working bookmarks, working links, history to go back after going to a link, better battery life, and a 6" screen.

Sony also have the same sale, but I'm not sure if shipping is free. Sony's sale is on until May 22. So I'm guessing Borders may be the same.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink

The Aluratek Libre is not able to read any DRM eBooks. It only supports the unencrypted files. "The Libre does not support DRM-restricted eBook formats like MOBI that require a PID." The CyBook can read DRM eBooks.

The Aluratek is less than half the price of a CyBook.[/QUOTE]

You were doing good till the drm support .It does support adobe drm'd Epub and ADE books, although drm'd epub books can be a crap shoot especailly from Simon and shyster. But it does support one of the major drm's schemes . But I do agree battery life is it biggest short comming 12 hours max or atleast once every 7 days the way I read. I dont regret getting its a great deal and its exactly what I was look for in a text e book reader.

Last edited by bob1xxx; 05-20-2010 at 02:58 AM.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote