Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Onyx Boox 8 Inch delayed

I just found out that the 8 inch will be delayed and will no longer be released in May. The 9.7 inch is scheduled to be released before the 8 inch at the moment and tentatively set for June or July.

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 02-05-2010 at 06:39 PM.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
bugger, now I may just have to buy a DR800S and stick a wifi card into it or see if a 9.7 hits the market soon (D9 or DR-950 are possibilities)
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
I wish the 9.7 series was scheduled for sooner..
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
micromirko
Enthusiast
micromirko began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60
Oh no !!!!

Please !!!!! - Let it happen that there will be a 8" Boox one Day.
micromirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
I just found out that the 8 inch will be delayed and will no longer be released in May. The 9.7 inch is scheduled to be released before the 8 inch at the moment and tentatively set for June or July.
Looking forward seeing the 9.7 device out since it seems people are happy with your devices, but by then I'm afraid I might already have gone and bought me another 9.7 display. It all depends on what comes out during the next couple of months. 2010 surely seems to be an interesting year for ebooks in general.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Darn I was hoping that the 8 inch would be out in May. Since I heard about it I've been drooling over the idea of getting one. Oh well.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
.... 2010 surely seems to be an interesting year for ebooks in general.
But I think not for manufactures.

Many competing parties. Many similar products competing on very minor points. Older e-ink technologies versus new color tech. Even a limited number of people that want to read for pleasure.

An 8 inch reader would be just about right for me (if weight is kept down). But I am afraid that many companies will cut & trim their product lineup. What they announce today may never see the light of day.

Onyx has my attention. I hope that they don't drop the 8 inch model.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
I think as long as you're only working with normal text with no symbols, a 6 inch device is as good as enough. After all you can zoom the text and popular formats support reflow. With rich documents that contain graphs and perhaps more sophisticated substructures it's a different story: you can zoom but at the price of spending too much time rolling the display around the page and with the low refresh rate of dedicated displays, it is not, in any rate, practical. THERE I think bigger displays are going to make a positive difference (for otherwise the {affordable/manageable} smaller is, usually, the better) and in that case, between 8 and 9.7 sizes the latter rhymes better with reason.

Last edited by dioib; 02-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
...2010 surely seems to be an interesting year for ebooks in general.
I agree, lots of planned products but so far nothing substantiated.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
But I think not for manufactures.

Many competing parties. Many similar products competing on very minor points. Older e-ink technologies versus new color tech. Even a limited number of people that want to read for pleasure.

An 8 inch reader would be just about right for me (if weight is kept down). But I am afraid that many companies will cut & trim their product lineup. What they announce today may never see the light of day.

Onyx has my attention. I hope that they don't drop the 8 inch model.
The 8 inch is perfect for me too. I've been waiting for a long time to buy a ebook reader and the Onyx is my first choice but if a competitor has a 8 inch multi format support with PDF and html (most of my books are bought in those formats) I will buy it instead.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Darn I was hoping that the 8 inch would be out in May. Since I heard about it I've been drooling over the idea of getting one. Oh well.
Just like me i m having the same thinking
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Bittybye
Addict

I was hoping there might be an update on when the 8 inch would be available? Or a best guess?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
amostafa
amostafa began at the beginning.

Device: none
is the Onyx Boox 8 Inch is this one?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...ader_BOOX.html
amostafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
What's the new colour tech you are referring to? None of the new vendors (Liquid Vista et al) have released anything yet.
Hopefully you are not talking about iPad - that's hardly new tech in terms of screens.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I think MikeOnyx' decision is praiseworthy. Unlike so many other releasers who hold off the bad news till the end, he's taken the bold step to announce disappointing news well in advance. He deserves some kudos.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx