Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Zoom persisting when changing page, is sony joking with us?

So every time I change page, i have to zoom again and again, this is disturbing.

How can sony make such functionality without thinking about this issue? Yeah I know that its possible to remove the margins of the PDF's, but sometimes because of the aspect ratio, the margins are not removed entirely, so the zoom feature would be very usefull, if i didnt have to zoom every time i move to next page

Is sony aware of this problem? Or is there any 3rd party software/firmware that corrects this issue?

Thanks.
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
No way to fix that I'm aware of.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is very well known. Had you asked here before buying your device, we could have advised you which devices don't have this problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Well, I don't see this as a problem. If I turn to the next page, I usually don't know in advance where on the page I want to read next (e.g. newspaper scans and such).

If they were to implement the function of keeping the zoom-level on page turns, I would appreciate to have the option (in the setup menu) of either keeping the zoom-level or going back to full page view.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mike_73, I agree we should had the option, to keep or not to keep the zoom. To me keeping the zoom is very important, because I use the zoom, not to zoom to a specific part of the page, but to eliminate the margins.. we use the zoom for different purposes.

I guess sony doesnt care.. but is there a way to make this possible with a firmware hack or something? Nobody else has interest in this?

Last edited by plim; 04-09-2010 at 06:53 AM.
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I assume that demand in such functions is existing. Unfortunately, the 600 is not as easy to hack as the 505. Kartu made PRS+, but the only thing I could help with was the manual. I did the russification hack as I wanted to have the clock display at the bottom of the page. But the main purpose was obviously to provide a russified menu and font. So the clock came as a bonus. I would love to see more hacks but I think we'll have to wait longer for that. When this all started on the 505, there weren't so many readers on the market. If the 600 stays long enough, there might be some more hacks, but actually, I think there'll be some newer readers out there that provide what we want before hacks are programmed.
I still wait for color e-Ink. I just love the display type and battery durability. I wouldn't want something like or similar to the Ipad
Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
hansvanderveeke
hansvanderveeke began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by plim View Post
Yeah I know that its possible to remove the margins of the PDF's,
How do you remove the margins of the PDF?
Can it be done on the device? Or must it be done offline?
hansvanderveeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru

As the zoom always "centers" in on a page, the zoom can extend the text portion of a page all the way to the border of the display. So if you zoom in properly to the according size of your text, the margins just disappear beyond the readers rim. Unfortunately, on every page turn, you have to zoom back in to loose the margins.

So I think that Sony is inconsistent in its programming. Either you want to use the zoom to loose margins. Then you want every page centered but don't want to loose the zoomlevel you have set.
Or you want to use the zoom to zoom in on technical documents or e.g. presentations and such where you rather would want to start at the left upper corner of a page but would need different zoom levels for different articles on one page (due to different font sizes used).
Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
hansvanderveeke
hansvanderveeke began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
I see.

Yes, I also think it is not handy that you have to rezoom at the turn of each page.
I hope they fix this...
hansvanderveeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think I'll have my reader replaced before they'll fix this if there's something with color or a 9" (maybe the Asus) on the market.