Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Dont understand the DRM thing

I was reading about the people downloading the free Altar of Eden from B&N and then being able to read it. It downloaded into an epub thru their reader but I can't put is on my 300. How do you do that? Can someone PM me? I'm pretty computer literate but this I don't get.

Thanks.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Barnes and Noble epubs are unfortunately not compatible with devices other than their Nook I believe although you could read it on your PC if you downloaded the relevant B&N software.

It is a bit confusing as usually .epub files work with all devices that support .epub files but B&N decided to buck this trend which is very unfortunate.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I also own a sony reader. I think that this was a stupid move on B&N's part. For the sake of wanting me to use only their reader they lost any opportunity to have the money I would have spent on books in their store.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I also own a sony reader. I think that this was a stupid move on B&N's part. For the sake of wanting me to use only their reader they lost any opportunity to have the money I would have spent on books in their store.
On the other hand, see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented. Circumvention of DRM on ebooks you bought and for your own use only is probably legal in the US. The primary problem with B&N for ePubs at present is that you can't be sure you won't get an eReader ebook instead. The DRM on eReader ebooks can also be circumvented, but ignobleepub.pyw is very easy to use and you immediately get a DRM-free ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Hi, I have a question that goes along with this. First of all, is it legal to remove DRM for my own use? There is a book I'm interested in that is only available in ereader, but it is a DRM book, and from what I've seen I can't read ereader DRM on the Astak Pocket Pro. I don't have the ereader yet, but I am looking into buying it next month some time. If I were to buy the book in ereader, is there an easy way to convert it to epub if it is DRM protected? I don't want to do it if there is a question as to the legality, although I will only be using it for myself, and not distributing the book to anyone. And if I did convert it to epub, would that change the format, or the functionality of the book? Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Hi, I have a question that goes along with this. First of all, is it legal to remove DRM for my own use? There is a book I'm interested in that is only available in ereader, but it is a DRM book, and from what I've seen I can't read ereader DRM on the Astak Pocket Pro. I don't have the ereader yet, but I am looking into buying it next month some time. If I were to buy the book in ereader, is there an easy way to convert it to epub if it is DRM protected? I don't want to do it if there is a question as to the legality, although I will only be using it for myself, and not distributing the book to anyone. And if I did convert it to epub, would that change the format, or the functionality of the book? Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!
In many countries it is NOT legal to remove DRM - even if you've purchased the ebook. Of course this is because publishers and governments prefer to use the "You don't own it, you just 'lease' it" model of sales. Kind of like having your own personal thief waiting to steal your purchase back from you if they take a dislike to you.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks, Derek. Then I guess I'll keep looking for epub books.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
First of all, is it legal to remove DRM for my own use? There is a book I'm interested in that is only available in ereader, but it is a DRM book, and from what I've seen I can't read ereader DRM on the Astak Pocket Pro. I don't have the ereader yet, but I am looking into buying it next month some time. If I were to buy the book in ereader, is there an easy way to convert it to epub if it is DRM protected? I don't want to do it if there is a question as to the legality, although I will only be using it for myself, and not distributing the book to anyone. And if I did convert it to epub, would that change the format, or the functionality of the book?
So far as I know, there has never been a legal case anywhere in the world concerning removing DRM from an ebook for personal non-commercial use. In the US, it is likely that this is legal (a fair use) but it is virtually certain that the question will never be settled in court because why would a copyright owner sue one of their paying customers for an act that hurts no one.

In the case of eReader DRM, you would remove it using ereader2html.py and then convert to ePub using Calibre. The format shifting from eReader to ePub obviously changes the ebook to some extent, but ePub is a richer format that eReader and so your reading experience should be almost identical.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thank you, Wallcraft. I kept looking and found the book in question at the Sony Reader store. From what I can tell, it is in epub. Are the Sony epubs compatible with the Astak EZ Readers? I'm assuming so, but I am very new to this.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
Thanks, Derek. Then I guess I'll keep looking for epub books.
While it is not legal in the US to remove DRM from files, if you paid for them, then that usually satisfies my moral compass. Besides, no one would be the wiser, as long as it was for personal use.

That said, it is still technically illegal, so let your conscience be your guide.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Are the Sony epubs compatible with the Astak EZ Readers?
Yes. Make sure to authorize Desktop Adobe Digital Editions before using Sony eBook Library for the first time, since I think this will automatically forward your AdobeID to Sony. If Sony ebooks are using the same AdobeID, they will work on the EZ Reader.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

jbloudg20, the book in question is a copy of the Bible, so I think I'll go the legal route. *l*

wallcraft, I've already got Adobe Digital Editions authorized on my computer, so I think I'll be good as far as that goes. I downloaded it a couple weeks ago because I was curious of the books would work on my Palm, but I found out if they have DRM they won't. Reading DRM books is one of the main reasons I'm looking for an ereader. That, and my Palm is showing signs of dying, and it seems they're pretty much obsolete.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Well since no one really answered sherbearjt08's question directly I'll give it a whack.

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. Because it is easy to "share" digital files via the internet or other media companies have wrapped the ebook file in an encrypted "wrapper". They encode the book so that it will work on JUST the device you bought it for, if it's a PC then the PC and the proper reading software have an ID and the file will only work on THAT PC. If it's an eReader that supports the DRM enabled file then only THAT device can read the file.

Many books are available WITHOUT encryption and will work on any device that supports that particular file format. An example is Project Gutenberg books: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page . Most all books that are NOT in the public domain that are BOUGHT from an ebook distributer like the Sony store Amazon ARE encrypted. The publisher / dealer / author and anyone else involved wants to make sure that no one distributes the book without encryption so that they can sell more books and all get their money. In reality the worth of DRM is questionable - but that's another discussion.

Places like Amazon (for the Kindle) allow you to have up to 6 devices on one account and any of the devices can download the file and read it, however because the file is encrypted for each specific device it isn't possible to just MOVE the file over to the new device, each device has to "fetch" the file directly from the distributer with the proper encryption using THAT devices ID.

Now as Wallcarft noted above ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...824#edit739460 ) a way has been discovered to UNwrap the encryption from the B&N ebook files. As discussed above this MAY have legal consequences. But if you BUY the book and do it yourself for just YOUR use alone you should not have any problems. Decide for yourself.

Warning: IANAL, YMMV

Hope this helps.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloudg20 View Post
While it is not legal in the US to remove DRM from files, if you paid for them, then that usually satisfies my moral compass. Besides, no one would be the wiser, as long as it was for personal use.

That said, it is still technically illegal, so let your conscience be your guide.
Didn't you read Wallcraft's post above? It has never been tested in court, so far as I know, so dogmatic statements about whether it is legal or illegal aren't worth the electrons used to propagate them.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

AlexBell, that's fine what jbloudg20 said. I had asked if it's legal, and that answered my question.