Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #31
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Since when "we're working on folders" means "you'll have folder working in the next update soon" ? As far as I know, the time bookeen setted a date for folders, it was april this year, and that not even close to "two years ago".
All right, to save some time, only the first mention of it I found. There were further ones.

Go to Bookeen's blog, to this post, made on October 7, 2007: http://bookeen.blogspot.com/2007/10/...gn-slight.html

Go to comments.
Go to Bookeen's comment, made on October 9, 2007 (it's 25th, not counting the deleted ones).

Its text is:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I confirm that the device will be available during the 3rd or the 4th weeks of october.

The folder support is currently in discussion. If it is not available for the release, it will be available in further upgrade.

Concerning the price:
Pricing is not an easy task, especially when we ship our goods from Europe. We have to take in account the european VAT, the shipment price, the local warranty limitations, our internal cost which are in Euros, the different localization costs and the volume expectations for each country.

If we compare with standard practices in the CE industry, our pricing remains fair.
For example Apple proposes higher prices in Euro than in US dollars on their Apple store, Sony does the same with the PS3, Archos (a french company) proposes the same price in Euros and USD on their online store.

We do consider that proposing the best price is very important to develop our market and we hope that both european and worlwide sales will enable us to work in this direction.

Best regards to all of you,

Michael for Bookeen
So, as you can see, on October 9, 2007, one of Bookeen's employees, speaking for Bookeen, divulged to the wide world that folder support might show up even in the initial release.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #32
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
"Might" being the main word there...
And no date given... So if you translated that as "folders will be availible soon in next firmware update", your problem...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #33
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I couldn't stand the indecision any longer so in the grip of craziness I've placed my order.

The decision wasn't easy but in the end I'm going with the Opus. It was the first eReader that caught my fancy and the features compared to the 300 are just so much more appealing.

It's hellishly expensive, but you only live once right? Right?

I just hope I don't live to regret the decision!

Now it's the long wait of 10 - 20 days for it to arrive...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #34
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
"Might" being the main word there...
Nope, EowynCarter, "might" is the term Kristian used. Bookeen themselves wrote "will be". Whis is a promise. Get it. Now, Bookeen took the freedom to leave out an important little word in "in further upgrade".

Which we might translate into:

in the next upgrade
in a further upgrade
in any further upgrade

Which leaves a lot of space for interpretation. So, do I put the blame on Bookeen's nonchalant use of the English language or on our blasphemous attitude to take a company by its word? Hm?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I couldn't stand the indecision any longer so in the grip of craziness I've placed my order.

The decision wasn't easy but in the end I'm going with the Opus. It was the first eReader that caught my fancy and the features compared to the 300 are just so much more appealing.

It's hellishly expensive, but you only live once right? Right?

I just hope I don't live to regret the decision!

Now it's the long wait of 10 - 20 days for it to arrive...
Good luck and I hope the freezing is not to cold for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #36
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Good luck and I hope the freezing is not to cold for you.
Thanks. I hope so too. It was a very tough decision to make. While the 300 might more stable I really like the UI and look of the Opus.

If it does crash I'll just have to deal with it like a Windows PC, at least I've had lots of CTRL-ALT-DEL practice.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Which we might translate into:

in the next upgrade
in a further upgrade
in any further upgrade
Exactly. And you chose to hear what you wanted. When a sentance is cleary ambigus, don't pay much mind to it.
And folders will indead come.

Quote:
Thanks. I hope so too. It was a very tough decision to make. While the 300 might more stable I really like the UI and look of the Opus.
Yeap. I didn't mean to get a new reader, but when bookeen showed us the opus diring the meet up, i though i needed one
And the oups crash way less than the version we saw at the meet up. (I found quite a few bugs that day, some of them where fixed )
Once i took of the sd, i have way less crashes. With the sd, i could hardlly spend an half hour reading, now it crashes sometimes, but not enough to be a real pain. Haven't crashed for a few weeks

Quote:
If it does crash I'll just have to deal with it like a Windows PC, at least I've had lots of CTRL-ALT-DEL practice.
Reset is page down + power for 10 seconds. (Read the manual, there are a few usefull tips there).
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #38
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And no date given... So if you translated that as "folders will be availible soon in next firmware update", your problem...
Ah, but the date was given, implicitly, in the "If its not available for the release" part. The initial release had a set date. So all later dates are them being late.

I have to remind that we're talking about expectations raised by Bookeen's announcements, based on the assumption that they keep their promises, which wasn't yet contradicted by experience then. Them saying "we promise" isn't any more legally binding than them saying "we will release it someday", so there's no sense in disputing the choice of words, only intentions. I wasn't the only one in the world that interpreted it like that - people expected it "soon" in 2007.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
Crusader
Space Cadet

Got an e-mail from Expansys today.

"We are currently awaiting stock of your ordered item and shall be receiving it within 8-12 working days."

I hope that's for their SA site and that it means it will ship to me within that period.