Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #61
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
maybe not the majority but a very high proportion. see homograph.

here's a list : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_homographs
That is certainly not a complete list!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That is certainly not a complete list!
no, certainly not, but it does illustrate the point.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #63
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
no, certainly not, but it does illustrate the point.
Indeed it does, and many thanks for that and for reminding me of the word 'homograph' which I had forgotten!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #64
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm Québécois (French Canadian if you prefer that......although we don't) and I sincerely hope that "Liseuse" doesn't become the official word for an eReader. I think they should just invent a new word like they did for most other technologies.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #65
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Anyone in Canada want to submit it to Quebec's Office de la Langue Française, as per this post? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=74

ETA: Ooops posted at the same time the author of the post I quoted did!

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 09-09-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: see eta
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #66
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Anyone in Canada want to submit it to Quebec's Office de la Langue Française, as per this post? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=74

ETA: Ooops posted at the same time the author of the post I quoted did!
I can do that. I'm pretty sure they'll come up with "Lecteur de livres électronique".

Is eReader the "official" word in English ?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #67
EricGagne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I can do that. I'm pretty sure they'll come up with "Lecteur de livres électronique".

I just went to do it and they no longer accept requests online. We have to call and they charge 5$.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #68
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

nope, eReader is much contested (particularly here, ironically by the same people contesting "liseuse" ) because it is also the name of a file format and therefore can lead to confusion when people don't understand the context (or if the context is ambiguous). i suspect however that in the end, "ereader" or maybe even "reader" will become the most commonly used word in english despite the possible confusion with the format. (i'm still holding out for liseuse though. ) there is no "official" word in english so far, which is actually how "liseuse" got started (in a discussion about "what to call these things").

Quote:
I just went to do it and they no longer accept requests online. We have to call and they charge 5$.
let's start a chipin ! i'm sure between us we can come up with 5$. if we do, will you call in the word and let us know what they say ?

i can give you plenty of supporting links.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #69
EricGagne
Connoisseur

I don't mind paying the 5$. I just can't do it now because I'm sure it's gonna take time before I find my way through to someone.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here is an example of why I want to adopt this word. In the following sentence "ebook reader" can be used 3 times:

I am an (person) holding my (device), which runs a particular (software) called Mobipocket.

Do you see the confusion here?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #71
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Here is an example of why I want to adopt this word. In the following sentence "ebook reader" can be used 3 times:

I am an (person) holding my (device), which runs a particular (software) called Mobipocket.

and just think if you are using a new [Barnes & Noble software*] instead of Mobipocket, how the confusion can be even worse.

*eReader.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #72
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I don't mind paying the 5$. I just can't do it now because I'm sure it's gonna take time before I find my way through to someone.
thanks ! that's pretty awesome ! if you ever come to paris, i'll buy you a drink to thank you !
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #73
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
i "just" call 'it' a book ....

Me too. I don't have to explain that this particular KIND of book is printed with a hardcover on a larger paper size and with such-and-such a binding, as opposed to several other types of books, for example, a "paper back" or "trade cover" or, in this case, "electronic".

I read books. When someone points to my Sony Reader and asks me what it is, I explain that it is a book. Then I show them. "See? Words. Now I turn the page... and this particular book is about the development of the English language, by John McWhorter, and is very interesting. I think I'll get back to it."
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #74
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

I wish that there was not so many different ways of abusing otherwise innocent posts .... :headbangingsmilie:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #75
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
hm, so what about links to blogs / articles using the word ? should those go in the article, or in the talk page ? (i've never edited wikipedia before, i suppose you can tell... )
Anything informational about the article's subject should be in the article.

Quote:
also, how do you contest the deletion ? is there something (other than editing the article) we should do ?
That would go on the talk page, actually. In which case you'd summarize your changes and argue that the article now meets the requirements set down.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote