Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
teaberry
teaberry began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Dead pixel or need more charging?

I recently bought a used PRS-505 on Amazon Marketplace and when I turned it on, it has a vertical line of light pixels from top to bottom in the center of the screen. It looks like a line of dead pixels. I tried a few books and it's still there. I notice the batter shows only 2 bars (about 50%?). I emailed the seller and he stated that I needed to charge it more and it should go away. After googling and searched this forum, I didn't see anything about a "dead pixel" look-alike line when low on charge.

I will find out in a few hours when charge is complete (red light is off). I doubt it will make any change. Should I try the reset hole in the back? Any other suggestions? He seems to be responsive to communication so if I can try things to make it disappear I am open. If not, I can always proceed with claim process with Amazon and/or Amex card. Thanks for any inputs and suggestions
teaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Seems damaged and in need of repair. My 505 has gotten much lower charge than that but I've never gotten lines or "dead pixels" I'd try a reset first and see what happens

Last edited by Ervserver; 03-10-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
Does it look like a white vertical line that you will see every time you turn the page or when the background is dark like in the book cover? I had a single white line appear right at the center from top to bottom. Then days later another line appeared. After that, I can only see the upper part of the display. If it is, that is a display problem and your unit might have been dropped before. I too dropped mine though the line started appearing only about two months later.
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Vertical or horizontal lines appearing on the screen are a pretty sure sign of a faulty screen controller. This should be fixable under warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Vertical or horizontal lines appearing on the screen are a pretty sure sign of a faulty screen controller. This should be fixable under warranty.
Well, except he bought it used. I would suggest contacting Amazon about a refund. This seller gave you broken merchandise.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Well, except he bought it used. I would suggest contacting Amazon about a refund. This seller gave you broken merchandise.
Yes, I know - I meant that he could advise the original seller to have it fixed under warranty, and then perhaps re-buy it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I wouldn't run first to Amazon. Contact the seller and tell him the product is defective and not in the condition described. Tell him you want to ship it back for a refund. I've had nothing but good experiences with amazon marketplace concerning sellers honoring their products.

If the seller says "no honestly just keep charging it until it works", then you contact amazon.
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
teaberry
teaberry began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thank you all for your help. I did contact the seller and I got refunded. Just shipped it back to him and told him he probably could get it fixed if he still has a receipt somewhere.

As for me, I think i'm going to buy a new one ( i understand new ones come with 2 yr warranty). The good thing is that I got to try it out for a day or two and I think instead of silver, I would prefer the blue or red as it may make the screen look even "brighter".
teaberry is offline   Reply With Quote