Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
New site for Christian eBooks with free audiobook

The site is called Symtio. There's more detail if you check out this post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=325703

I had to correct this because it is actually a free audiobook (not an ebook). I'm sorry for the mistake! I guess I need to learn how to READ!

Last edited by rebarnmom; 01-14-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: correction to freebie
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Interesting. They even mention Calibre (blue box on the right).

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
It is probably worth mentioning that it is a Christian books site rather than a general book site.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It is probably worth mentioning that it is a Christian books site rather than a general book site.
Yes, you're right. It is something I see a great need for, so I'm always on the look-out and would appreciate any additional information on sources of Christian content!

Should I have included that in the title? I'd change it if I knew how.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Title changed!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Title changed!
Thanks Harry!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard

What I also find interesting is that this is an example of brick and mortar stores and ebooks working with each other! So that the joy of browsing through your favorite bookstore wouldn't have to go the way of extinction. I pulled this quote from another thread called "Buy Local".

Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32786
I see no reason at all why bookstores cannot sell ebooks. I enjoy looking around bookstores, but I would prefer to buy ebooks. There is no reason why they couldn't allow a terminal for you to swipe your credit card when you've decided on a book & download it onto either the device or your flash card/usb device. The biggest holdup in ebooks, DRM an also be covered as you'd have to type in your PID or however else you do it. Technically I don't see it being any more difficult than trying to get photos printed from High St stores with your flash/CDROM or camera from these instore print terminals.

Even better if you could take the book, swipe it's bar code & the terminal then tells you what you can do with it...

Several shops have ebook stores, WHSmith & Waterstones for example it is surely the next stage to link the 2 for easier access & browsing.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
The site is called Symtio. There's more detail if you check out this post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=325703
Did you get an ebook when you signed up? My mother only got an offer for an audiobook.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Did you get an ebook when you signed up? My mother only got an offer for an audiobook.
I just rechecked the message. I hadn't done anything with it, because my Sony Reader hasn't arrived yet. But looking at the message, it does say to use your PIN number to redeem your audiobook.
So sorry! My mistake!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Title changed!
Harry I need your help again! I goofed on the freebie... it's a free audiobook, not an ebook. Could you change it for me or tell me how to do it myself. Sorry to be such a bother.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
I just rechecked the message. I hadn't done anything with it, because my Sony Reader hasn't arrived yet. But looking at the message, it does say to use your PIN number to redeem your audiobook.
So sorry! My mistake!
News Flash! I contacted Symtio customer service and asked them if I could have the ebook version as my freebie, instead of the audiobook. She happily exchanged the audio for the ebook for me. I also purchased my first two ebooks from the site and it was a smooth and easy transaction (especially considering that I am a newbie)! Right now I think they have more audio versions of books to choose from than ebook versions, but hopefully that area will grow!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:

Harry I need your help again! I goofed on the freebie... it's a free audiobook, not an ebook. Could you change it for me or tell me how to do it myself. Sorry to be such a bother.
Nevermind
Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I gave them a try yesterday. I even went to my local Christian bookstore to buy the card. I was thinking of buying an NIV Bible for my 700. Sony's was $15 and DRM'd. Symtio's was $10, delivered in epub, lrf, and lit without DRM. That made the sale for me.

So far, I like what I see. I'm curious to see how brick & mortar distribution plays out for them. I know the cashier I had said that the card I brought her was the first one she had checked out, but she generally liked the idea.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #14
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
I gave them a try yesterday. I even went to my local Christian bookstore to buy the card. I was thinking of buying an NIV Bible for my 700. Sony's was $15 and DRM'd. Symtio's was $10, delivered in epub, lrf, and lit without DRM. That made the sale for me.

So far, I like what I see. I'm curious to see how brick & mortar distribution plays out for them. I know the cashier I had said that the card I brought her was the first one she had checked out, but she generally liked the idea.
That's great to hear! I'm glad you had a good experience with them! I found the two eBooks I bought to be less expensive than the same on other sites! I hope the Christian bookstore nearest me gets on the bandwagon real soon. Maybe I'll have to give them a call and give them a nudge!