Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #31
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Well, I know the 100 Free Classics aren't necessarily as well formatted as what is found here on MB, but at least I can find them in the Sony Store now. I was able to click on the box on the lower right, go to the bottom of the page and click on the Go Browse now. I probably was dense, but I couldn't easily find them in the previous version of the store. And, it lets me display up to 100 books / page. So, I'm going to look at finishing up getting my 100 books.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Since now that I have both, I just buy a Kindle book and dedrm it so I can load it to my Sony. The Sony is still my #1 preference for reading since I love to buy bundles, I love how the Sony calculates by page numbers where you are in the book.
I've compared some of the Sony bundle prices to the Kindle store... and the Kindle store is still usually cheaper or the same price.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #33
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I've compared some of the Sony bundle prices to the Kindle store... and the Kindle store is still usually cheaper or the same price.

BOb
They are, that's why I mostly now buy the Kindle version and dedrm and run through Calibre and lastly load it to my Sony!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #34
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
RSS feed?

I've tried to link to the RSS feed feature in the new Sony store. I downloaded Salon and Slate Magazine but Salon only gave me the TOC--unconnected to any text--and Slate downloaded only the title page. Is this normal?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #35
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Oh, I don't know how different it is - but I like the recently viewed panel - and - the ability to browse the main box like General Thrillers and pull up 100 at a time and then click on a book and put it in my wishlist (I don't know that it's different - I never really used the software much because it's slow) - but - it is still soooooo slow even to pull up 10 items. I go do something and come back. I wish it were just in a browser window - and I could sync my reader up when I connect.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #36
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
They are, that's why I mostly now buy the Kindle version and dedrm and run through Calibre and lastly load it to my Sony!
Can you buy and download Kindle books without owning a Kindle? Amazon says Kindle books are downloaded via Whispernet.
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
Can you buy and download Kindle books without owning a Kindle? Amazon says Kindle books are downloaded via Whispernet.
No you cannot. You must have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account to buy Kindle books. The books can be downloaded via Whispernet or to a computer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #38
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Seabound calls it the "blue spinning circle of death" and I can't think of a more apt description. This was and still is one slow site. I also hope Sony can keep my credit card details intact as I have had to re-enter them three times over the last year. The new Sony e-book strore reminds me of a 'bricks and mortar' shop where the owner has painted the outside and put up some flashing lights. When you go inside it's still the same dusty place with little stock and too high prices.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #39
harleyfrank
harleyfrank began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader
It's better than Waterstones

Hi guys,

I've just had a look at the Sony store (Don't know if we can use it in the UK), and compared to the Waterstone's site, which is the one the Ebook Library sends you to if you use have the UK Sony 505, it is much better and user friendly.

I haven't tried ordering anything through the Sony site as I undersatnd it's US only and I don't want to waste my time. Anyone know if that is the case?

Harleyfrank
harleyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #40
sononkyo
sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS300S, PRS505S (ret.) PRS 500 (ret.)
Definitely disappointing. I thought it was a total revamp with software, not window dressing. Maybe Sony San Diego has something internally brewing because this is a band-aid solution.
sononkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #41
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Ho ho -- try searching for the Books of Ember: type "ember" and get the first two, as expected, then type "jeanne duprau" and get the same two -- but type "Jeanne DuPrau" and get all four books :-)

Hilarious...
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oooh, case-sensitive search !! my favorite.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #43
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
You know if you can buy Kindle books you can dedrm then and convert them to Sony.

BOb
Actually I wasn't aware that there was software out there to dedrm it.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
You know if you can buy Kindle books you can dedrm then and convert them to Sony.

BOb
Only people who own a registered Kindle can buy Kindle books.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Only people who own a registered Kindle can buy Kindle books.

Dale
And the person I posted this message to does. Since they stated that they bought the same ebook from both the Kindle story and the Sony store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote