Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Trouble downloading MSReader books from Harlequin books (only)

I was wondering if any of you experienced users could help me out...

I've bought, downloaded and read Microsoft Reader books on this laptop from Fictionwise. Last one the other day, so that seemed to work fine.

I registered and bought a few books at Harlequin (hey a girl needs some easy reading besides sci-fi!). The are in my bookshelf there. But I'm not able to download them.

Their bookshelf/software apparently doesn't recognize my Microsoft Reader. They suggest authorizing it. So I've re-authorized, and had it check that it's the latest update etc form the MS site. MS site reports all is okay. I used the same email address on Harlequin as is my Passport/LiveID thingy for MSReader.

I still am unable to download the books I've bought. I'm waiting to hear back from their tech support (their stock/basic suggestions, authorizing again, making sure I use Explorer, clearing history, making sure MSReader isn't bloced by firewall etc didn't help). But meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone here has encountered something similar, and what did you do to solve it?

I'm thinking it's an issue with Harlequin's bookshelf/software? Since I can download & open protected books from Fictionwise on the very same copy of MicrososftReader. Or could it be something else? Any ideas?

The thing is, I'm leaving for a trip in a few days, and would love to have the books with me...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
silly question

You probably already did this, but is your browser blocking the pop-up for downloading the file?

The files should be saved to your hard drive in /my documents/my library at least in theory.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My MS Reader will not read any DRM LIT files. I have no idea why. It is activated. But, because I have ConvertLIT setup, I just strip the DRM and they then work fine. If you can strip the DRM from your LIT files, then they would work as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My MS Reader will not read any DRM LIT files. I have no idea why. It is activated. But, because I have ConvertLIT setup, I just strip the DRM and they then work fine. If you can strip the DRM from your LIT files, then they would work as well.
If you want MS Reader to work try redownloading and reinstalling it. That will generally clean up any problems.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you want MS Reader to work try redownloading and reinstalling it. That will generally clean up any problems.

Dale
I'd rather leave it as it is. It reminds me to remove the DRM from the MS Reader files right away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Thank you for the suggestions, I've installed Microsoft Reader and authorized to same email/passport on another computer (with another internet connection and firewall setup) and still had the same issue - the bookshelf/seller's site didn't recognize my authorized MSReader. I wasn't even able to download the books, the download button was disabled. BTW, having to use Explorer is annoying, and the blocker thing is annoying I haven't checked to see if it can be disabled since I don't use Explorer other than for MSReader.

After a few emails back and forth wiht their/tech customer service it is now working and I can download the books (without any changes on my side). Hopefully it will keep working, I subscribed to one of the monthly set of books things

I'm guessing the seller did something on their end, maybe they had blocked my country's ip addresses or something as default. Whatever they did, it's working now. Their customer service replies were quick and it got sorted, so all in all a good experience, although I'd like to know what the issue was.

Last edited by June; 09-17-2008 at 12:24 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd rather leave it as it is. It reminds me to remove the DRM from the MS Reader files right away.
Then I guess you shouldn't complain about it and tell everyone it is broken.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote