Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
imaginedtruths
imaginedtruths began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4th Generation
Question iPad Kindle App book extraction?

I have a jailbroken iPad on iOS 7.1.2 and although I do like and appreciate the often great prices Amazon has on books, I prefer reading books on the Marvin app. Even if this requires using a PC, could someone assist me on a way to access legally purchased books from Amazon, that was downloaded to the Kindle App, i.e. extra those books, use Calibre to convert them to epub and sync using iTunes to get those books onto the Marvin app?
imaginedtruths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  1. Download and install Kindle for PC. Sign in, download the books you want.
  2. If your books are DRMed (and many are) then you will need to DeDRM them. MobileRead policy forbids giving in-depth guidance on this matter , but we are allowed to suggest you google "apprentice alf" for more details .
  3. From calibre, open the Add books dialog, and import your books from the default location at
    Code:
    C:\Users\<username>\My Documents\My Kindle Content\
  4. Install the iOS reader applications and Marvin XD plugins for calibre.
  5. Send books directly from calibre to Marvin.

The legality of doing this depends on who you ask. The publishers think it is horribly illegal since you don't have to pay them for the same book twice -- others think it is legal according to the Fair Use Doctrine.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-03-2014 at 11:24 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Given that some publishers don't even bother putting DRM on ebooks, you paint with a rather broad brush there. Sometimes it's the author who is concerned with piracy, other times it's the publishers concerned with piracy. I rather doubt that more than a handful of individuals actual view DRM as a tool to make you buy the same book multiple times.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Given that some publishers don't even bother putting DRM on ebooks, you paint with a rather broad brush there. Sometimes it's the author who is concerned with piracy, other times it's the publishers concerned with piracy. I rather doubt that more than a handful of individuals actual view DRM as a tool to make you buy the same book multiple times.
Your bias towards the publishers is even more well-known than my bias against them. We must agree to disagree, then, since I still think you are utterly wrong!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Also this gives further proof to my running theory that you have no sense of humor.
Advert
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Also this gives further proof to my running theory that you have no sense of humor.
Why? I saw nothing humorous in ANYTHING you stated. I only see a personal attack that goes beyond fundamental disagreement or difference of opinion.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Your bias towards the publishers is even more well-known than my bias against them. We must agree to disagree, then, since I still think you are utterly wrong!
The only publisher I have a bias towards is Baen books. I'm a lot more interested in specific authors than publishers. I have a pretty good sense of humor, but I'm pretty sure that asserting that a group of people are malicious isn't generally considered humor. Well, maybe if it's a lawyer joke.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote