Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
They may be a powerhouse of cutting edge technologies and manufacturing, but they have never been very good at executing original ideas.
Rounded corners anyone?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a series of forearm workouts for anyone interested in getting a smartwatch. Now's the time to build up those muscles for all the wrist flipping you'll be doing.
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #33
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
It's funny to see the kind of lame duck products Samsung creates when they have no one to copy.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What is the point of a smartwatch? A $300 watch that no doubt has to be charged often and doesn't do phone stuff?!
So you can tell when riding a bike whether or not you want to answer the phone using the bluetooth in your helmet, of course!
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #35
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
It's funny to see the kind of lame duck products Samsung creates when they have no one to copy.
We'll see where the market goes I guess and what Apple comes out with. I think this watch is stupid. I also thought the iPad was stupid. So what do I know.

One thing is for certain, this is getting a lot more attention in the media than Sony's smart watch, which is currently on version 2.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm still waiting for a smart shoe

Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm still waiting for a smart shoe

Well you know, if we could get a rumor started that Apple is working on that Samsung would probably make it.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I used to carry mine in my shirt pocket until it took a dive into the cat's water dish one day. Don't do that any more.

In Hawaii we hardly ever wear a jacket or coat, so it's my front trousers pocket. I almost aways wear dress slacks to work, so the pockets are fairly loose. On weekends it's cargo shorts so there are plenty pockets.
Taking a dive is my fear-that's why I'd like to keep it in a buttoned pocket if that didn't make it so difficult to get out. Dress slacks don't work for me any better than jeans-front pockets in both are too hard to get anything out of without standing up which is very hard to do in a car. Hadn't thought about cargo shorts though-those might work. Thanks.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I wonder how many people will buy one just for "status symbol" purposes. Or a family member sees it in the store and doesn't know what else to get someone for Christmas. Sales could be huge for this piece of junk, er, technology.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #40
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I would love to have a watch that integrated with my phone, and as it happens, I do have the GS4. I've missed so many calls and texts because my phone was buried in my purse that it's not even funny (even with loud ringtones) -- if my wrist beeped or vibrated it would solve that problem.

That said, this thing seems too big, especially for a woman, and kind of inappropriate-looking for a professional woman, and way overpriced -- it should be about $150, not $300.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #41
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
That said, this thing seems too big, especially for a woman, and kind of inappropriate-looking for a professional woman
That's a great point. I don't think I've heard it come up once in over a year of smart watch rumour discussion. Everyone just seems to assume that these things will be big, dorky-looking wrist gadgets like 1980s watch calculators, made for young, single men who never dress up.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #42
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
What is the point of a smartwatch? A $300 watch that no doubt has to be charged often and doesn't do phone stuff?!

As far as I can see it doesn't do anything that a smartphone doesn't do, except fit on your wrist. And it requires a smartphone, specifically a Samsung one, or tablet. For $300 I can get a very nice conventional watch that never needs charging and just allow my smarthone to notify me when I get an email, text message, or phone call.
I think the market for smart watches are going to explode in the coming years. I personally would like a device which would give me information about messages, calls etc without taking out the mobile phone. It is more of a convenience actually. I think the killer apps for these kind of watches would be health related ones. Ones which enable joggers, exercises, swimmers to track their activity on a daily basis.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenasterisk View Post
I think the market for smart watches are going to explode in the coming years. I personally would like a device which would give me information about messages, calls etc without taking out the mobile phone. It is more of a convenience actually. I think the killer apps for these kind of watches would be health related ones. Ones which enable joggers, exercises, swimmers to track their activity on a daily basis.
That kind of watch has been around a long time, but are designed differently from a stupidwatch which requires a specific phone to operate. They are stand alone watches. Just go to Garmin.com and look around. There are many other manufacturers as well.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #44
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
That kind of watch has been around a long time, but are designed differently from a stupidwatch which requires a specific phone to operate. They are stand alone watches. Just go to Garmin.com and look around. There are many other manufacturers as well.
Exactly. If this thing appeals to somebody for working out, they probably don't do real workouts.

MotoACTV was on the right track and other than the weak "sweat resistance" was a great first attempt. I was waiting for the second version but Googlerola decided to leave the sports watch market, which is a shame. Garmin also managed to muck up much of their linueup by insisting on touch interfaces for basic functions, which doesn't work so well when you're wet or sweaty. I swear, most companies these days seem to be most interested in building gimmicks for idiots rather than functional products.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes Garmin is a bit over the top and certainly high end. I personally prefer the Casio G-SHOCK watches I've had over the years. They are usually difficult to program/use, but they last years without charging, are rugged as hell, and provide all the outdoor functions I need. Oh, and you can actually read the Cassio dial when out side in direct sunlight!

Coming next from Samsung:
  • Tie clasps that connect with a Samsung smartphone
  • Ladies earings that connect with a Samsung smartphone
  • Babies pacifiers that connect with a Samsung smartphone, just in case he wants to check his stock portfolio
  • Toilette bowls that connect with a Samsung smartphone, just in case you get an important call while dropping a deuce