Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
New format themes

Has anyone got any "new format" themes which don't work with the old "pbres.exe" or "viewer.exe" tools?

I'm curious what's different in the format.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #2
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
I could never get pbres to completely decompile the Lines.pbt file on my Era. At first it was due to pbres having a file size limitation for the bmps. After I changed that size all images came out black
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2024, 03:51 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you share (in case there are other files with the same name) that Lines.pbt on this thread, or via PM? I'd like to take a look at it.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:23 PM   #4
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Here is a zip folder of what I was working on including the Lines.pbt
Attached Files
File Type: zip pbres.zip (3.48 MB, 33 views)
Old 01-16-2024, 03:31 AM   #5
chrisridd
Guru

Thanks - I tried using a copy of https://github.com/Enyby compiled on my Mac, though it works for several pbt files, but on yours it seg faults after writing a few black images...

The pbres binary in the SDK doesn't seem to have an option to extract all the resources at once. You can extract one at a time but they're still in their internal "res" format (well, file(1) says "PDP-11 separate I&D executable" but that seems unlikely) and not BMP.

The SDK pbres has an "unpack_resource" function which (decompiled) seems to uncompress the data and write that as an unchanged blob to disk; Enyby's code for "pbres -u" does the same (and gives identical output) but Enyby's "pbres -d" code tries to convert it to a BMP.

So I wonder if the internal res format has changed?

Your file is still a v1 theme BTW.

Last edited by chrisridd; 01-16-2024 at 03:42 AM.
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 07:27 AM   #6
chrisridd
Guru

A few more thoughts.

First, Enyby's pbres and yuryfdr's xpbres (both are on GitHub) both support adding TTF fonts as resources, however they both assume when dumping resources that every resource is a graphic. That's a bug, though I guess TTF resources are unusual.

The SDK's "pbres" will convert BMP files into new-style graphic resources, so it seems like it would be possible to construct a few known BMP images and use the SDK's "pbres -t" and then the SDK's "pbres -u" to reverse engineer the new-style graphic resource format.

If you disassemble the SDK's pbres bmp2res() it looks rather complicated
Old 01-16-2024, 09:08 AM   #7
jrw174
Connoisseur

The seg fault is the bmp variable file size. You need to change it to a larger number. I can't remember which line it was. I'll take a look again

Take a look at this thread I made a while back. The icons I believe are still BMP format. This thread was about creating custom icons

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355521

Last edited by jrw174; 01-16-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:41 PM   #8
chrisridd
Guru

In this case it isn't the file size that's the problem. "pbres -l Line.pbt" starts like this:
Code:
resource                 size     compressed
--------------------------------------------
<theme.cfg>            137293         22902
AppStore:4              19036          3245
CardLogo:4              67832         33882
GooglePlay:4            20456          3688
about:4                 12328           602
activate_account_on_eink:4    49736           493
activate_account_on_smartphone:4    49736           989
add_to_cloud:4          12328           584
adjustments:4           12328           182
adjustments_inv:4       12328           756
adobe_activation_layout:4    11360          1162
And it crashes on the "adobe_activation_layout:4" resource. if you run "pbres -u Line.pbt adobe_activation_layout:4" you get a JSON file. That completely freaks out bmp_from_bm() and you get your seg fault.

Tags
themes