Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Odd Reading Life stats bug

Since the most recent update, the Kobo for iOS app has, rather oddly, taken to insisting that I have read four books within the app, even though I am positive I have only read three (and yes, I have checked to make sure no other books are marked as finished). This issue only occurs within the iOS app - my Touch is still displaying the correct number. I can only assume this is a good old-fashioned software bug but would appreciate any thoughts/ information.
As an editor by trade, I tend to notice and obsess about these small details!
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
have you read a sideloaded book?

my stats vary across devices (vox, android phone, ipod) and the books read includes sideloaded books but only on the device it was read, deleting the book doesnt affect the stats

from what i have seen (or how it looks based on my stats)

kobo books read sync across all devices
sideloaded books add to books read on device it was read on only
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the informative suggestion Paul - I didn't know that. But no, I haven't read a side-loaded book (on iOS anyway). I am hoping for a response from Sharkus or lessthanyouthink to this one
Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
lessthanyouthink isn't around, so you'll have to put up with me

So, iPad or iPhone? And exactly what stat are you talking about, the "Books" item under "Completed", or something else?
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Hello Sharkus! Yes, I am indeed talking abut the 'books' item under 'completed', and on both the iPad and iPhone (yes, being something of an Apple nerd, I have both...)
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Ok, well I'll have a look. I've just had a very quick look (opening and finishing books) and it seems to match on both iPad and iPhone.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Just to clarify: as of version 5.4.1 of the iOS app the stats include those from books not on your current device as well as those that are. Hence the change of wording from % of your library to % of your books.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Thanks to Sharkus and lessthanyouthink for the information, but I'm still convinced this a software bug. Why? Because I recently switched to a brand new Kobo account. After loading my new account onto my Touch, I marked the three books in my library which I have read as 'finished' (on the Kobo Touch), then loaded my new account details into the Kobo app on my iPad and iPhone. When the new account had finished synchronising on the two iOS devices, I was somewhat taken aback to see that *both* the iPhone and iPad were once again reporting my total books read as four, not three. Could this be a cross-platform, iOS-Touch data synchronisation glitch?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Cameronpaterson
Addict

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has encountered anomalies/ glitches of a similar kind?
I am seriously considering ditching my Touch as result of this....
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
Reesedonald10
Reesedonald10 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newbie here :)

Newest member of the site

I am Donald Reese of Minnesota

Thank you so much L
Reesedonald10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Hello Donald Reese
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has encountered anomalies/ glitches of a similar kind?
I am seriously considering ditching my Touch as result of this....
yup, so much so I dont usually take too much notice of them

my Vox has correct number of books read (about 60)

iOS on iPod shows about 40 and the Android app on my phone has 30 ish

not sure what figures get synced up to kobo, but it doesnt include everything

I still find the stats interesting, but more as fun, they cant be relied on (includes other stats, not just books read)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
yup, so much so I dont usually take too much notice of them

my Vox has correct number of books read (about 60)

iOS on iPod shows about 40 and the Android app on my phone has 30 ish

not sure what figures get synced up to kobo, but it doesnt include everything

I still find the stats interesting, but more as fun, they cant be relied on (includes other stats, not just books read)
Really? Didn't realise the stats were that unreliable!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic

i beleive it's because sideloaded books get ignored (for me they should be included in everything, if the book is available on kobo store)

android app I have only just started using, never read a sideloaded book on it, so assume this is the number of kobo store books read
started using iOS app before xmas and read a few sideloaded books in it, this looks like the reason it is higher than the android app stats
got vox for xmas and mainly read using this since, read many sideloaded books, explains why this has highest stats

I know they need to promote all the extra features, but to make them meaningful (for me anyway), they need to include everything read in the kobo app

the only way I can see to guarantee they are correct is to only use one device/app, sharing between platforms/apps does not work very well

sorry if that is a rant, I am a happy kobo customer, just think they need to improve the basics
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
i beleive it's because sideloaded books get ignored (for me they should be included in everything, if the book is available on kobo store)

android app I have only just started using, never read a sideloaded book on it, so assume this is the number of kobo store books read
started using iOS app before xmas and read a few sideloaded books in it, this looks like the reason it is higher than the android app stats
got vox for xmas and mainly read using this since, read many sideloaded books, explains why this has highest stats

I know they need to promote all the extra features, but to make them meaningful (for me anyway), they need to include everything read in the kobo app

the only way I can see to guarantee they are correct is to only use one device/app, sharing between platforms/apps does not work very well

sorry if that is a rant, I am a happy kobo customer, just think they need to improve the basics
I don't think that's a rant. I agree with you (although I am slightly confused as to how your iOS app and Vox can have the highest stats if side-loaded books are ignored?). I certainly think you're right about the cross-platform synchronising not working very well - I have encountered a number of bugs and glitches (apparently) related to this issue: awards appearing prematurely for example. Not that long ago, there was no cross-platform synching of course, and I wonder if Kobo might have been better off sticking with that arrangement. Stats imply accuracy - if you're going to promote them as a feature, they should work properly.