Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Asus and Win8 tablets

It seems that Asus is actively working towards a Win8 tablet.

Quote:
The Taiwanese company says that it will be a leading partner in the Windows on ARM alliance, which will provide the company with a "ticket to sell Windows 8 tablet in Q3' 2012".
The only problem I have with this is that I have been waiting forever for a windows based tablet that is light/slim/energy thrifty/affordable and it looks like I'll be waiting a whole lot longer. Asus saying Q3' 2012 actually probably translates into a Q1 or Q2 2013 release; which means another 12 - 18 months before anything really happens -- maybe.

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/11/0...-tablets-2012/
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Note that the ARM version of Windows 8 will *NOT* run actual Windows software - only apps written for the Metro interface (and it remains to be seen whether they'll allow sideloading or if they're going to lock you into the Windows 8 store that you can see the tile for in Win8 previews).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I really wish someone would come up with true competition to the iPad, just to keep the market competitive.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I really wish someone would come up with true competition to the iPad, just to keep the market competitive.
I agree, isn't one of the problems the patent office? True competition would require an end to all forms of copyrights and patents.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
When all the parties ease up on the crying foul with patents and all that crap, we may actually see better competition.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I thought Microsoft was on to something with its Courier device myself. However Microsoft didn't and dropped it to make more windows. Gastan I' been waiting since iPad came out for a Windows tablet that worked well with touch (paired with Wacom) but Microsoft is so far behind it will be probably this time next year before anything is ready.

That said, I don't want an Arm device running fake windows. If it can't run all my windows software then I might as well get another ipad. Honestly I could give up Windows entirely and I almost have, except for one problem.. For me that's OneNote. Microsoft doesn't even advertise this program and its amazing.

Anyway, I've been finding the longer it takes Microsoft to come out with a system, the less I seem to need them. I use Scrivener on my Mac, and Microsoft Office, (but they don't make OneNote for Mac, if they did, bye Windows for me.) The Apps on iPad have really grown, I even have one that shows my onenote notebooks exactly as I see them in Windows with the promise of editing coming this year.. and it was free! Although, I'd glad pay for it.. I'm really hoping for a high resolution iPad screen on the 3.. but the longer it takes the more of a foot hole iPad is getting..

Finally, an intel based windows tablet is going to cost a thousand or more.. (if its not junk) since Intel and Microsoft need their big cuts of the pie..

The Arm based one, you might as well get an iPad.

Last edited by Synergi; 11-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote