Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #286
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Probably because many of us (me included, despite having read on it every day since mid-October) have never experienced the 'page flipping' problem and others have experienced it only occasionally, enough to be irritating but not enough to forgo some of the advantages of the T1, e.g. better PDF support.
Well said!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #287
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyco57 View Post
I wonder how folks have put up with it this long.
I endured 9 months with a Gen3, which crashed several times a day.
I have a PB302 (which can't even show a proper page break), which still is waiting for an official firmware update (for more than a year now).

The T1 already is better than all this. It would take a lot more to get me seriously annoyed.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #288
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
And those of us that had frequent page flipping & crashing probably returned them. I'm waiting to see if they do indeed get the firmware fix out. When they do, I'm getting another because it really is a great reader.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #289
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I just had the touchscreen not working bug. I was reading about an hour with buttons, and tried turning a page with the screen but it was unresponsive!

I had to do a hard reset to get it back. It took about one minute in total and was the first bug I've ever experienced during normal operation...and I've used it regularly since launch.

I suppose I've been lucky to never have the page flipping issue or freeze before. Definitely one of my favorite readers..

On a side note my kindle 4 non touch also had an issue this week.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #290
amyb
amyb doesn't litteramyb doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs-t1
I've also noticed that if I use the buttons to turn pages that then the screen becomes unresponsive.
amyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #291
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Try turning the reader on and off three times in a row, as soon as the screen becomes unresponsive or the pages flip. Just hit the power button and nothing else when you do this. This corrects the issue immediately. I have not done a reset.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #292
bcbarnowl
bcbarnowl began at the beginning.

Device: none
3 times and you're out!

I tried the turning the reader off 3 times in a row - worked once or twice but not always so I would try it 5 or 6... and then just give up and let it rest.

Returned it to the retailer while I still could and I'll just wait to see if they can fix the bug - then I'll be back to buy another.
bcbarnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #293
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I've been using mine for 5 days now and have just had my first freeze. It happened while searching an epub book. Screen completely froze but hard keys still worked. Power button had no effect, I had to do a reset to recover.
No big deal as far as I'm concerned, but would be nice to have it fixed..
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #294
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Been using mine for nearly a week now, and no freezes or crashes (It once took a -very- long time to open a PDF, which I eventually aborted by pressing the Home key).
This is with the original firmware (1.0.0.something). I just upgraded to 1.0.2.10280, so we'll see how it goes for the second week

Usage has mostly been reading an ePub (up to 2 hours at a single sitting), but I've also opened various other books (71 installed on the device in 25 categories, mostly ePub but also a few PDFs). I usually use the hardware buttons to change pages as I find that much easier to use single-handed than the swipe.
WiFi has been both 'off' and in 'standby' while reading; I've done a tiny bit of web-surfing on it trying to access online book stores.

I use Linux and Calibre to transfer books to the T1.

Cheers,
- Micha.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #295
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post
I usually use the hardware buttons to change pages as I find that much easier to use single-handed than the swipe.
That's the answer to why you didn't experience any problems.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #296
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Possibly.
I made an effort to use swipes all day yesterday and got the page flipping bug late last night. But any one (or possibly a combination) of 3 factors could have been the cause:
1. I just upgraded to the 1.0.2.x FW
2. I was reading under halogen lights (there's another thread about that)
3. I was using swipes instead of the buttons

Just a thought, but is it possible that the type of lighting at the time is a trigger for touchscreen related issues? I will test further.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #297
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post
Just a thought, but is it possible that the type of lighting at the time is a trigger for touchscreen related issues? I will test further.
I don't understand the process well enough to have an educated opinion but the fact is that it has never happened to me or anybody else with PRS-350/650. The same touch screen technology is used for PRS-T1 AFAIK.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #298
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
On the only occasion mine has frozen, it was in a my living room with normal household type lighting.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #299
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was reading in natural or incandescent lighting when the page flipping bug occurred.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #300
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Quote:
I don't understand the process well enough to have an educated opinion but the fact is that it has never happened to me or anybody else with PRS-350/650.
It has happened on my 350 a few times, but when I tried to get it to repeat the flipping, I could not do it.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote