Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So who got the corporate email from Borders (Aust)?

How many people here got the email from Borders (Australia) asking us to continue supporting them "during this period of transition" and asking for feedback?

I am sooooooooooo tempted to respond

Did people in the U.S. and Canada get anything similar??
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Sure I did. I also had an earlier email from Dymocks earnestly assuring me that they're not going anywhere.

I know in the case of Borders, it was apparently poor management that led partly to their doom, but I'm still tempted to reply and urge them to lobby for the allowance of parallel imports. Not that it would probably help much, meh.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
I got one though we are US customers. Its a nice gesture, I guess
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Here in the US if you are registered at a nearby store they also send you an email telling you that they are burning the building to the ground and want to get rid of all their crap first.

Well... basically, anyway.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
carlb
carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BPDN, Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
How many people here got the email from Borders (Australia) asking us to continue supporting them "during this period of transition" and asking for feedback? I am sooooooooooo tempted to respond

Did people in the U.S. and Canada get anything similar??
Canada does not allow foreign ownership of its bookstores, so there are no Borders this side of the border and the huge chapters.indigo.ca chain owns pretty much half of the domestic market. Indigo CEO Heather Reisman, longtime public face of these stores, did appear on CTV news yesterday morning - basically saying that Borders US had entered the 2008 recession already saddled with huge amounts of debt while Indigo/Chapters was largely debt-free and therefore came through the downturn in much better condition. While she did strongly promote the Kobo on-air, her response to the question of whether e-books would render print obsolete was that there is and will continue to be a place for both. She expressed a personal preference for curling up with a tangible, printed book while at the same time claiming to use her Kobo for its portability while away from home.

So no, nothing of shocking import in the Dominion of Canada, which is to be expected...
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I got that email as well. This was along side more offers for big VIP discounts...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Nope not me
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
Shankill
Nameless Being

I feel so blessed: I got e-mails from both A&R and Borders (admittedly because I'm members of both their rewards programmes :P). The GST-free weekend that just ended was amusing. I like to think it was a jab at Gerry Harvey, but either way, it probably helped business a little.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Got both A&R and Borders, almost simultaneously, one offering a 25% and the other 30% discounts over the same period.
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote