Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #76
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I enjoyed Soft Apocalypse, which reminded me of the classic Earth Abides in a way. They're both ultimately sad books, good, but sad.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #77
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
The first is about an alien invasion and the aliens have a herd instinct. The second is a bout a comet's impact with the Earth.
Apache
I read both of those in hardback years ago, both were very good. I might give Lucifer's Hammer a reread, it's been so long I can barely remember it.
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #78
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
You beat me to it Jon. I just saw this thread resurrected and thought Wool needed mentioning.
I've been hearing a lot about these books lately. I sent the sample to my Kindle for reading when I'm done with my current book. Wool Omnibus is only $5.99.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #79
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I recommend "Flood" by Stephen Baxter. It 's about what happens when the oceans starts rising much more rapidly than expected. It's followed by "Ark".
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #80
WhichP
WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mankinds Worst Fear by David l. Erikson whilst containing some off-planet (mars) action is mostly a earth based sci-fi. Check it out.
WhichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #81
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Shockwave Rider by John Brunner
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #82
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just remembered that Isaac Asimov has a collection of stories called Earth Is Room Enough.

http://www.goldenageofscifi.com/cate...c-asimov-1957/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #83
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Started reading Earth Abides yesterday. Thanks to all who recommended it. I had a hard time putting it down.

A bit bleary-eyed today
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #84
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I recommend "Flood" by Stephen Baxter. It 's about what happens when the oceans starts rising much more rapidly than expected. It's followed by "Ark".
I read the sample for Flood, and thought it was really good, both in the believable near-future tech and the ominous hints of a looming disaster that's still a bit in the background. I'm reading his book Titan right now, but Flood and Ark are definitely on my To Be Read Soon list.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #85
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, but I recently bought the first series of Yesterday's Gone by Sean Platt and David Wright. The first two are free but I bought the whole first series after reading the reviews at Amazon.
The bumpf about it classes it as a post apocalyptic serial thriller in the form of several short stories. It seems to be written in the same vein as Wool by Hugh Howey, which I thought was excellent.

I've yet to read any of it but it's next on my TBR list. I'm sure I'll buy the second and third series too as I love the genre. The authors have another series written in the same way called White Space but I've not read much about that one.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #86
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
If you can find it. . .

"Davy", by Edgar Pangborn Why it's unavailable as an eBook is one of the great literary tragedies.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Uko...source=gbs_atb

Also good is "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter Miller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #87
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Started reading Earth Abides yesterday. Thanks to all who recommended it. I had a hard time putting it down.

A bit bleary-eyed today
That's interesting, or rather puzzling. I "read" it last night, or attempted to, as I ended up skipping forward 20 pages at a time until I reached the end after a couple of hours or so. I found the writing old-fashioned as well as stylistically awkward and stilted, the story yawn-inducing and the whole package profoundly unengaging. In fact I found it to be one of the worst books I've tried to read in a very, very long time.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #88
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
That's interesting, or rather puzzling. I "read" it last night, or attempted to, as I ended up skipping forward 20 pages at a time until I reached the end after a couple of hours or so. I found the writing old-fashioned as well as stylistically awkward and stilted, the story yawn-inducing and the whole package profoundly unengaging. In fact I found it to be one of the worst books I've tried to read in a very, very long time.
That's interesting. I backed up my copy since I know it's something I'll want to re-read some time in the future.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #89
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Mine is backed up too. I'm always nice to my books, whether or not I enjoy them.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #90
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Beyond Armageddon Series by Anthony DeCosmo.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote